Covidien – Company Information
Covidien is a multinational healthcare products company that focuses on the development, production and marketing of medical devices and medical/surgical supplies.
It used to be part of Tyco International until it was spun off, in 2007, as an independent publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange – under the stock ticker symbol ‘COV’.
The company claims that it is “committed to creating innovative medical solutions for better patient outcomes and delivering value through clinical leadership and excellence”.
Covidien is comprised of two primary business segments:
Medical Devices – focuses on endomechanical instruments, energy devices, soft tissue repair products, vascular products, oximetry and monitoring products, airway and ventilation products and other medical products.
Medical Supplies – focuses on medical surgical products, nursing care products, original equipment manufacturer (OEM) products, and SharpSafety TM products.
Covidien has a team of approximately 38,000 employees across 70 countries, with 41 manufacturing facilities in 17 countries.
- Chairman, President and CEO: José E. Almeida
- CFO: Charles J. Dockendorff
- Type: Public
- Industry: Medical Devices
- Listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)
- NYSE stock ticker symbol: COV
- S&P 500 Component
- Revenue: $10.235 billion USD (2013)
- Net income: $1.700 billion USD (2013)
- Diluted earnings per share: $3.61 USD (2013)
- Employees: 38,500 (2013)
- Corporate headquarters: 20 on Hatch, Lower Hatch Street, Dublin 2, Ireland
- Corporate contact number: +353 1 438-1700
- Investor relations contact number: +1 508-452-4343
- Investor relations email address: [email protected]
- Website: http://www.covidien.com/
|Operating data (in $ millions)||2013||2012|
|Cost of sales||$4,150||$3,944|
|Selling, general and administrative expenses||$3,340||$3,261|
|Research and development expenses||$508||$479|
|Income from continuing operations before income taxes||$2,029||$1,919|
|Income from continuing operations||$1,600||$1,637|
|Balance sheet data (in $ millions)|
|Total stockholders’ equity||$9,242||$10,565|
|Cash flow data (in $ millions)|
|Net cash provided by operating activities||$2,095||$2,425|
|Net cash used in investing activities||$(722)||$(1,678)|
|Net cash used in financing activities||$(1,328)||$(383)|
|Cash and cash equivalents at end of year||$1,868||$1,866|
|Common share data (in $)|
|Basic earnings (loss) per common share||$3.64||$3.96|
|Diluted earnings (loss) per common share||$3.61||$3.92|