DirecTV – Company Information
DirecTV is a multinational provider of digital television entertainment services.
The company, based in California, USA, is publicly listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the stock ticker symbol ‘DTV’.
It operates two direct-to-home, or DTH, business units: DIRECTV U.S. and DIRECTV Latin America.
DIRECTV U.S. focuses on providing satellite-based television services to U.S. customers in homes and businesses. As of December 31, 2013, its US business had approximately 20.3 million subscribers.
The company, also one of the major satellite TB providers in Latin America, owns:
- PanAmericana, covering Venezuela Argentina, Chile, Colombia, and Puerto Rico.
- Sky Brasil Servicos Ltds., known as Sky Brasil (93% owned).
- Innova, S. de R. L. de C.V., known as Sky Mexico (41% stakeholder).
As of December 31, 2013, its three Latin American businesses had a total of 17.7 million subscribers.
The company has a subscription business model, in which the subscriber pays a monthly fee to watch certain channels. Additional monthly fees can be paid for other services (typically additional receivers, HD channels, premium channel packages, and on-demand-media).
- Chairman, President and CEO: Michael D. White
- CFO: Patrick T. Doyle
- Type: Public
- Industry: Cable
- Publicly listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market
- NYSE stock ticker symbol: DTV
- NASDAQ-100 Component
- S&P 500 Component
- Revenue: $31.754 billion USD (2013)
- Net income: $2.885 billion USD (2013)
- Diluted earnings per share: $5.17 USD (2013)
- Employees: 28,200 (2013)
- Corporate headquarters: 2260 East Imperial Highway, El Segundo, California, USA
- Corporate contact number: (310) 964-5000
- Investor relations email: [email protected]
- Website: http://www.directv.com/
|Operating data (in $ millions)||2013||2012|
|Total operating costs and expenses||$26,604||$24,655|
|Income before income taxes||$4,488||$4,442|
|Income tax expense||$(1,603)||$(1,465)|
|Net income attributable to DIRECTV||$2,859||$2,949|
|Balance sheet data (in $ millions)|
|Total stockholders’ deficit||$(6,544)||$(5,431)|
|Cash flow data (in $ millions)|
|Net cash provided by operating activities||$6,394||$5,634|
|Net cash used in investing activities||$(3,753)||$(3,363)|
|Net cash used in financing activities||$(2,176)||$(1,242)|
|Cash and cash equivalents at end of period||$2,180||$1,902|
|Common share data (in $)|
|Basic earnings (loss) per common share||$5.22||$4.62|
|Diluted earnings (loss) per common share||$5.17||$4.58|
Source: “DirecTV 2013 Annual Report”