Discovery Communications, Inc. – Company Information
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an American mass media and entertainment company, based in Silver Spring, Maryland.
It is publicly listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market, under the stock ticker symbol ‘DISCA’.
The company provides content to approximately 2.2 billion cumulative viewers (in the U.S. and in 220 other countries) through networks that the company wholly or partially owns.
Discovery Communications, Inc. has four main businesses groups: Discovery Networks U.S., Discovery Networks International, Discovery Commerce, and Discovery Education.
Its portfolio of networks includes the Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Oprah Winfrey Network, Investigation Discovery, Science, Hub Network, American Heroes Channel, Destination America, Discovery Fit & Health, Velocity, 3net, Discovery en Español, Discovery Familia, and Discovery Digital Networks.
The company has recently started distributing content distribution new platforms, such as brand-aligned websites, on-line streaming, mobile devices, and video on demand (“VOD”) and broadband channel.
- President and CEO: David M. Zaslav
- Chairman: John S. Hendricks
- CFO: Andrew Warren
- Type: Public
- Industry: Media
- Publicly listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market
- NASDAQ stock ticker symbol: DISCA
- S&P 500 Component
- Revenue: $5.535 billion USD (2013)
- Net income: $1.077 billion USD (2013)
- Diluted earnings per share: $2.97 USD (2013)
- Employees: 5,700 (2013)
- Corporate headquarters: One Discovery Place, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
- Corporate contact number: (240) 662-2000
- Investor relations contact number: (877) 324-5850 or (212) 548-5882
- Investor relations email address: email@example.com
- Website: http://corporate.discovery.com/
|Operating data (in $ millions)||2013||2012|
|Total costs and expenses||$3,537||$2,632|
|Net income available to Discovery Communications, Inc||$1,075||$943|
|Comprehensive income attributable to Discovery Communications, Inc||$1,075||$970|
|Balance sheet data (in $ millions)|
|Cash flow data (in $ millions)|
|Net cash provided by operating activities||$4,883||$4,470|
|Net cash used in investing activities||$(3,101)||$(2,662)|
|Net cash used in financing activities||$(2,101)||$(1,882)|
|Cash and cash equivalents at end of period||$860||$1,172|
|Common share data (in $)|
|Basic earnings (loss) per common share||$3.01||$2.51|
|Diluted earnings (loss) per common share||$2.97||$2.48|