Procter and Gamble (P&G) – Company Information
|Company||Procter and Gamble (P&G)|
|Headquarters||One Procter & Gamble Plaza, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202, USA|
|Revenue||US$65.06 billion (2017)|
|Operating income||US$13.96 billion (2017)|
|Net income||US$15.32 billion (2017)|
|Total assets||US$120.4 billion (2017)|
|Founders||William Procter and James Gamble|
|NYSE stock symbol||PG|
|Chairman of the board, president and CEO||David S. Taylor|
Procter and Gamble (P&G) is a multinational consumer goods company, based in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.
P&G is publicly listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol ‘PG’.
It sells a wide range of consumer goods that are sold in more than 180 countries and territories around the world.
The company’s main customers are mass merchandisers, grocery stores, membership club stores, drug stores, high-frequency stores, distributors and e-commerce retailers.
During the fiscal year of 2013 sales to Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. and its affiliates represented approximately 14% of P&G’s total revenue.
In August 2014, Procter & Gamble announced that it would be shedding half its consumer brands, and focus on just 70 or 80 of them. The aim of this strategy was to streamline the world’s largest consumer-brands product business and accelerate growth.
In 2018, it was reported that Procter & Gamble would acquire the consumer health division of Merck Group for €3.4 billion euros (£2.96 billion; $3.9 billion).
P&G has five reportable segments:
- Beauty – beauty care, hair care and color, prestige, and salon Professional products. Major brands include Head & Shoulders, Olay, Pantene, SK-II, and Wella.
- Grooming – shave care, braun and appliances. Major brands include Fusion, Gillette, Mach3, and Prestobarba.
- Health Care – feminine care, oral care, and personal health care. Major brands include Always, Crest, Oral-B, and Vicks.
- Fabric Care and Home Care – fabric care, home care, personal power, pet care, and professional products. Major brands include Ace, Ariel, Dawn, Downy, Duracell, Febreze, Gain, Iams, and Tide.
- Baby Care and Family Care – major brands in this segment are Bounty, Charmin, and Pampers.
Brief history of P&G
The history of P&G goes back to the early 1800s, when two British men called William Procter and James Gamble emigrated to America. The two settled in Cincinnati and respectively married Olivia and Elizabeth Norris. The father-in-law of the two men persuaded William and James to open their own business. Because of his suggestion in 1837 Procter & Gamble was created.