Perhaps deciding whether or not you need professional help for your mental health is one of the toughest decisions you need to make. Although a lot of people struggle with mental health issues, not many consider professional help to deal with their problems and often struggle in their life. If you are facing the same struggles, in this article, the thrive talk experts have shed some light upon the therapy and associated issues that will help you make an informed decision. Keep reading further to simplify your understanding.
Know your experts – Psychologist and Psychiatrist
Psychiatrists- These experts deal with severe mental sickness by advising some investigations and making a diagnosis. They are the qualified doctors who learned about the brain and its working as well as prescribe medications for the same. People with mental health issues are mostly referred to the psychiatrists by the general physicians for further help. The most common medicines prescribed are antidepressants, mood stimulators, mood stabilizers, along with a combination of treatments.
Psychologists– Psychologists are not medical doctors and their functional working sphere involved psychotherapy as the main component. They are experts in using the behavioral interventional methods to help the patient in stabilizing their mental and emotional problems. They undergo the professional training of conducting the behavioral test to assess the mental health state to determine their course and treatment. They do not prescribe medicines to patients.
What are the benefits of therapy?
The talking therapy helps in all sorts of situations and confusion. Therapy is not just limited to mental disorders but helps in your routine life as well. It has been observed the treatment for any situation works best when the prescription and therapy sessions are combined. For many people, therapy alone is enough to deal with imbalanced mental health status and improves their emotional well being. The major benefits of therapy are-
- Therapy provides you the reflective lens that helps you deal with your emotions. During the therapy, you express your emotions, talk about your fears, and reflect upon the things that are happening around you and how they affect you. By therapy, you learn to understand your emotions in a better way and learn how to deal with them whenever you are overwhelmed. Since the therapy is all about learning and using the sessions for self-reflection, the effect of therapy lasts for years.
- Therapy also decreases the dependency upon drugs, especially in the case of children. People who suffer from depression and anxiety are advised to go through therapy alone or with prescribed medicines so that they can heal completely or with the minimum dependency upon drugs.
- Some people struggle to deal with previous trauma and abuse that worsen with their mental health status. In these cases, talk therapy alone has proven to be efficient and productive for a long time. Since the psychological trauma is too much in these cases, by therapy, you can heal these wounds completely. Also, these thoughts do not haunt you later. It also helps you get rid of the physical representation of these symptoms in the form of anxiety and depressions by diffusing the negative emotions.
- Therapy also gives you a new perspective on the situation. It helps you understand others and yourself in a better way. It helps in removing the negative patterns of mind for certain situations and also provide the clarity you seek. This way, you get rid of your assumptions and pre-decided opinions that help in mending your relationships, especially with your family.
- Therapy helps you to deal with the conflict and rush of emotions you feel about yourself. The therapy is especially helpful if you have the anger, sadness, and conflict building up within you. Therapy deal with your emotions and thus opening new opportunities for discussions with others and making you more acceptable towards others.
So, there you have it. Now that you are aware of the major points about therapy, you can call your experts and figure out their potential. Remember always to trust your intuitions while working with a therapist to ensure whether they are a perfect match or not. Usually, you will be able to determine that during the introductory session. Also, if you feel that you have made a mistake in the upcoming sessions, feel free to switch to the new expert at the earliest.
Interesting related article: “What is Health?“