The construction industry is a broad field that encompasses many projects and tasks. Construction companies, general contractors, and subcontractors need to keep track of their documents, from blueprints to bills of materials and more.
This can be tough if you’re not using the right tools or processes to manage your documents. In this guide, you shall explore why having proper document management is important for your business.
What is construction document management?
Construction document management is the process of organizing and managing construction documents, including blueprints, specifications, drawings, and diagrams. You can follow various techniques to achieve this.
The best method is using construction document management software that allows you to create and edit documents easily. With these applications, you can store all information in a cloud-based environment and access it wherever you are.
Why is document management a must for your construction business?
It is important to understand that document management is not simply a tool for storing and organizing files but a powerful strategy for streamlining your business process. Document management has many benefits, including,
- Improved efficiency: Document management systems can help you reduce the time spent searching for documents and improve how you share them with others on your team.
A good construction document management software will allow you to keep track of when and where each file was last accessed by any member of your team so that staff members aren’t double-handling tasks or missing opportunities to collaborate with other members of the team because they don’t know who has already seen which material.
- Enhanced security: A cloud-based document management system ensures that all files are kept secure in one place where only authorized users have access rights. This helps avoid sensitive information from being accidentally transmitted over unsecured channels (like email), thereby preventing breaches from occurring due to human error or poor training practices.
Key document management features to consider
Here are some features to consider:
- Ability to import and export files. You may receive digital files from a vendor or need to send them out for approval. It’s best to do this without leaving the document management system. Construction document management software should let you upload documents directly from your computer or cloud storage services like Google Drive and Dropbox.
- Ability to share documents with other users. If multiple people are working on a project, they need easy access to any relevant documents uploaded into the system. Working within the same platform makes collaboration easier because it enables team members who aren’t physically present at a construction site (such as those in another city) to participate in meetings remotely through conference calls or video chats via their computers’ webcams.
This means there’s no delay between real-time decisions made at meetings—which could otherwise cause costly delays down the road—and subsequent actions taken by other team members so everyone can stay on schedule throughout the construction process.
How to choose the best construction document management software for your business
- Choose a system that is compatible with your existing tools.
- Choose a system that supports the documents you need to share.
- Pick a system that is easy to use and learn.
- Choose a system that can be implemented quickly (no more than 4 weeks).
- Consider cost and functionality when choosing your document management solution, especially if multiple stakeholders use it across different departments and locations.
Document management is an essential part of any construction project because the industry is complex and involves a wide variety of people, tasks, and papers. So, it’s always important to keep track of everything involved to ensure your job goes smoothly, but it can be difficult to keep track of all the key information.
Luckily, there are construction document management systems available to use. However, you must thoroughly research to choose the best software that suits your business requirements.
Interesting Related Article: “Five Ways Technology Advancements Make Document Management Easier“