Ecolab, Inc. – Company Information
Ecolab, Inc. is an American multinational provider of energy, water, and hygiene technologies.
The company, based in St. Paul, Minnesota, is publicly listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock ticker symbol ‘ECL’.
Ecolab’s products and services are typically used in the foodservice, food processing, hospitality, healthcare, industrial, and oil and gas markets.
The company’s vision is “to be the global leader in water, hygiene and energy technologies and services; providing and protecting what is vital: clean water, safe food, abundant energy and healthy environments.”
Ecolab, Inc. has ten global operating units aggregated into four reportable segments:
- Global Industrial
- Global Food & Beverage – provides detergents, sanitizers, cleaners, lubricants, cleaning systems and animal health products.
- Global Water – solutions for water treatment and process applications.
- Global Textile Care – offers custom designed programs, premium products, dispensing equipment, water and energy management, and real time data management.
- Global Paper – sells water and process applications for the pulp and paper industries.
- Global Institutional
- Global Specialty – supplies sanitizing and cleaning chemical products to restaurant chains and food retailers.
- Global Institutional – sells specialized cleaners and sanitizers for kitchen equipment.
- Global Healthcare – provides infection prevention and other offerings to hospitals, dental offices, veterinary clinics, and surgery centers.
- Global Energy – serves the process chemicals and water treatment needs of petroleum and petrochemical industries in upstream and downstream applications.
- Global Pest Elimination
- Equipment Care
Ecolab, Inc. was founded in 1923 by Merritt J. Osborn under the name Economics Laboratory. In 1986 the company changed its name to Ecolab.
- Chairman and CEO: Douglas M. Baker, Jr.
- CFO: Daniel J. Schmechel
- Type: Public
- Industry: Utilities and Chemicals
- Publicly listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)
- NYSE stock ticker symbol: ECL
- S&P 500 Component
- Revenue: $13.253 billion USD (2013)
- Net income: $973.6 million USD (2013)
- Diluted earnings per share: $3.16 USD (2013)
- Founded: 1923
- Founder(s): Merritt J. Osborn
- Employees: 45,415 (2013)
- Corporate headquarters: 370 Wabasha Street North, St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
- Corporate contact number: 1-800-232-6522
- Website: http://www.ecolab.com/
|Operating data (in $ millions)||2013||2012|
|Cost of sales||$7,240.1||$6,483.5|
|Selling, general and administrative expenses||$4,281.4||$3,920.2|
|Income before income taxes||$1,298.3||$1,012.6|
|Provision for income taxes||$324.7||$311.3|
|Net income attributable to Ecolab||$967.8||$703.6|
|Balance sheet data (in $ millions)|
|Total Ecolab shareholders’ equity||$7,344.3||$6,077.0|
|Cash flow data (in $ millions)|
|Net cash provided by operating activities||$1,559.8||$1,203.0|
|Depreciation and amortization||$816.2||$714.5|
|Common share data (in $)|
|Earnings per share||$3.16||$2.35|
Source: “Ecolab, Inc. 2013 Annual Report”