It doesn’t matter who users are. Individuals and businesses alike still prefer email as their primary means of communication. Statista even projects that email usage will further increase by at least 2-3% annually from 2018 to 2023.
For that reason, marketers should take a careful look at their email marketing strategies. Because sometimes, no matter how powerful a campaign is, it may amount to nothing if messages don’t reach their intended recipients.
Such a challenge can, however, be alleviated with an email validation solution like Email Verification API. But first, let’s define what email validation is before delving into how it can benefit digital marketers.
What Is Email Validation? How Does it Help?
Email validation is the process of verifying if an email address is correct and can thus receive messages. Marketers need an email validation application for various reasons, notably to ensure that their distribution lists are clean. In fact, this activity helps them improve their email deliverability and lower bounce rates.
Among other checks, an email validation solution enables users to do the following:
- Correct typos made by users while typing in their email addresses into forms. That also allows form owners to make sure that none of their subscribers or customers are using invalid addresses.
- Email Verification API also checks if email addresses meet the syntax requirements enforced by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). Addresses that do not conform to this standard might be malicious.
- The API also detects disposable email addresses. This is relevant as it can lessen the chances of sending messages to users who do not intend to read them and will stop using the address after a while (translating to a higher bounce rate and lower open rate).
- Email validation also avoids sending messages to so-called “spam traps.” Major Internet service providers (ISPs) and blacklist owners use these fraud management tools to identify spammers for blocking. While a spam trap looks like a real email address, it doesn’t belong to a real person and so can’t send or receive any communication.
- Email Verification API also checks if email addresses have corresponding mailboxes and mail exchanger (MX) records. The absence of these can lead to hard bounces, too.
Why Email Validation Is a Must for Marketers
In short, email validation is one way for marketers to ensure that their messages get to their intended destinations and guarantee their marketing campaigns’ success. Here’s a list of email validation marketing benefits:
1. Better Returns on Investment (ROIs)
Emails that go to non-existent addresses automatically translate to money down the drain. That is why all marketing distribution lists must contain verified email addresses. Email Verification API ensures that each email address has a corresponding mailbox. That way, each message sent is guaranteed to reach the intended recipient’s inbox and at least stands a chance of being read.
2. Improved Customer Engagement
Customer engagement is critical for any organization that wants to retain old customers and attract new ones. One way to do that is by keeping customers up-to-date on product updates, new releases, and sales and other promotions. Then again, marketers need to make sure that they are communicating with clients through the right channel. Email validation will help them weed out invalid email addresses from their customer lists.
3. Enhanced Email Deliverability
Any successful marketer knows how important email deliverability is. ISPs and email service providers (ESPs) often correlate high bounce rates to spamming. As such, email marketers need to keep hard bounces to a minimum to avoid being tagged a spammer and hence, blocked. Email Verification API can help reduce hard bounces and thus improve any user’s email-sending reputation.
4. More Accurate Customer Analysis
Marketing professionals often analyze email metrics to gain insights into what works and what does not. They could make the wrong assumptions and conclusions, though, if the information they use contains invalid data. If, for instance, they fail to take out invalid email addresses from their distribution lists and count these as active subscribers, they could end up with skewed data. Email validation tools help exclude invalid email addresses from data analysis, thus guaranteeing better insights for use in future efforts.
5. Higher Conversion Rates
Let’s face it, no matter how many subscribers digital marketers send emails to, if none of them read and respond to communications, then all their efforts are in vain. Email validation does away with that issue by making sure that only verified email addresses receive messages. That way, marketers lessen their chances of wasting effort on disposable or invalid email addresses and users who will never convert into buyers.
Email validation tools like Email Verification API can help marketers thoroughly rid their distribution lists of all invalid, fake, abandoned, and disposable addresses. Only with accurate and up-to-date data can they, after all, make sure that their well-thought-of campaigns get to recipients that are likely to respond.
About the Author
Jonathan Zhang is the founder and CEO of Threat Intelligence Platform (TIP)—a data, tool, and API provider that specializes in automated threat detection, security analysis, and threat intelligence solutions for Fortune 1000 and cybersecurity companies. TIP is part of the WhoisXML API family, a trusted intelligence vendor by over 50,000 clients.
Interesting related article: “What is Digital Marketing?”
Video – What is Online Marketing?