People experience many dental problems in life, among which decayed or broken teeth, untimely loss of teeth, and dental unevenness due to acid erosion are quite common. All these dental defects are clearly visible while these people speak or smile broadly. So they often want to rectify these flaws through cosmetic dentistry that involves full mouth restoration. Some people also need this elaborate dental treatment to cure their difficulty in biting, due to defective teeth arrangement on gums.
However, only the reputed dentists specialized in cosmetic dentistry should be contacted for full mouth restoration. Critical dental patients may also contact periodontists who are expert in gum treatments, orthodontists experienced in rectifying locations and movements of teeth, and endodontists specialized in the treatment of tooth pulp. The highly experienced oral surgeons can also provide relief to these people who need reconstruction of their entire dental alignment.
Steps taken for entire oral diagnosis in a dental clinic
Diagnosis of teeth problems – First of all, the dentist needs to carry on a thorough examination of the natural teeth and gums of the patient. It is particularly important to check the conditions of porcelain crowns, bridges and implants, which are previously placed for repairing decayed or broken teeth. All the healthy teeth should be minutely examined to find any crack, cavity, or decay, which should be treated for maintaining oral health. The abnormal unevenness in teeth sizes and problems in earlier done root canals are also noted.
Detection of other oral issues – The oral gums may show different types of problems; like gum infections, inadequate amount of gum tissues, abnormal pockets in gum surface, and fragility in jaw bone density. The expert periodontists can detect such problems very easily, which are treated for saving natural teeth and oral health. Irregular sizes of teeth cause faulty occlusion, leading to a problem in biting or chewing food properly, which can be corrected by some treatment procedures mentioned in orthodontics. The unnaturalness in the color and shape of the teeth also needs to be corrected by cosmetic dentistry.
Apart from simple clinical tests, the dentists also take the help of X-rays, dental impressions, and special oral photographs for accurate diagnosis of all problems in the oral cavity of their patients. Once the entire diagnosis is complete, the dentist may chalk out a comprehensive program for full mouth restoration of the patient, with all necessary oral treatments. He may consult other dental specialists for delivering best oral reconstruction.
Treatment procedures adopted for complete oral restoration
- Prophylactic dental cleaning is essential for good oral health, which comprises elimination of all germs from the teeth and gums. Thus, all types of gum diseases can be prevented by this treatment. Proper scaling and root planing are also included in periodontal care, for the improvement of gum health.
- Crown lengthening procedure deals with more exposure of the natural teeth, by removing the excess gum tissues through oral surgery. This treatment is usually rendered to multiple teeth for making the smile livelier and more attractive. However, a single tooth may undergo this procedure for perfect crowning or bridging that will last for a longer period.
- The irregular gum tissues are repositioned for beautifying the smile of the patient. The uniformity in gum tissues is also necessary for the better balance of the natural teeth embedded in these gums.
- The braces are placed over the misaligned teeth that make the smile of the patient look ugly. The defective positioning of the teeth can also be corrected by these braces that bring the teeth closer, making the smile brighter.
- Orthognathic surgery is performed for correcting the defective jaw structure, due to the misshapen jaw bones, muscular deformity, and faulty temporomandibular joints. This surgery is necessary for fixing all visible problems in the natural teeth that cannot be cured with braces. This treatment is also effective for curing sleep apnea that is caused because of deformed jaws.
- Sometimes, the sizes of natural teeth need to be lessened for placing crowns, veneers or bridges over them. This preparation of teeth is essential in case of many patients, who need to fix their decayed or broken teeth.
- The new dentures may be placed temporarily for making the patient used to the use of these artificial teeth. He also needs to feel comfortable while biting foods with the new artificial teeth. However, the ceramic bridges with metal support, dental inlays and onlays, porcelain crowns and veneers over the decayed teeth are a few common procedures of permanent oral restoration.
- Artificial teeth of the same color and shape are implanted to fill the gaps of lost teeth on the gums. These permanent dentures also help in placing bridges over other adjoining teeth that need to be restored.
The procedures involved in full mouth restoration are quite different from the mere cosmetic dentistry that is done for improving the smile. The scientific processes for mouth reconstruction need better expertise in specific fields of dentistry, along with the latest dental tools. Most of these treatments are covered by dental insurance, thus giving some financial relief to the patients.