In their study, McKinsey & Company found that email is nearly 40 times more effective than Facebook and Twitter combined for customer acquisition. Research conducted by DMA shows a $32 return on every $1 spent on email marketing.
All these stats, studies, and marketers’ constant tries to sign us up for their newsletter suggest one thing: Email marketing is an effective marketing channel to grow a business.
So, if you are not utilizing this channel, you should. And here’s how:
1. Collect emails
I don’t know if you know this or not, but to do email marketing, you need to have emails. That’s the primary requirement. Thus, collecting email is the first step to growing your business using email marketing.
There are two fundamental steps to collecting more emails:
- Grow Traffic: Emails can sure give recurring traffic, but to collect more emails, you need more visitors. Try SEO, social media ads, PPC, or any other strategies to drive more traffic.
- Get them to subscribe: Once the visitors are in, attract them to collect emails. There are many list building tactics such as:
- Thank you page for commenters
- Free e-book for subscribers
- Pop-ups, etc.
Practice and A/B test different ways to grow the list.
Once you have an email list, start with newsletters.
Bringing value and building awareness before asking people to buy is the right way to grow business using emails. Start with a unique welcome email and move to timely newsletters.
Email newsletters, in most cases, are Jabs before the Hook. In the newsletter, share stories, How-tos, latest articles, and anything that connects the people of the list to your brand.
Your newsletters must be attractive and attention-grabbing.
- Invest significant time in headlines. As David Ogilvy said, “On the average, five times as many people read the headline as read the body copy.”
- Make the body content impeccable.
- Use an excellent template/design for an overall better experience.
Use CTAs too, but don’t focus on direct sell.
Once you have earned the subscriber’s trust with the timely newsletter— showing your expertise, your product/service’s needs, their problem, etc.— now’s the time to switch gears.
Go on direct sell mode:
- Showcase your products/services.
- Segment and do A/B testing.
- Giver offers and discounts, especially during Black Fridays and Cyber Mondays.
- Write killer copy
- Use persuading CTAs.
- Leverage social proof and testimonials.
In short, do whatever you can to get them to the product/service/landing page. And then sell! If your strategies, tactics, and offerings are on point, a positive ROI is inevitable.
Email is an excellent marketing channel to grow any business. If you have relevant emails and information in the database, and a quality copywriter who can write persuasive emails, the returns—as DMA research showed— are fantastic.
In this article, we discussed the three fundamental steps to grow business using Email Marketing. I Hope you found it useful. If you have any queries, comment section is open as always.
Interesting related article: