With a global pandemic affecting hundreds of thousands of people around the world, the ones in the best position are those who have the best insurance. Unfortunately, most of us only consider health insurance after a crisis hits or once we hit retirement age. This is often too late, In this article, we will be helping you get set up and protected with health insurance Hong Kong and other insurances that could save you a lot of time, money, and stress.
Let’s jump right in.
Why do I need health insurance?
Surprisingly, many people from around the world, still view health insurance as a costly extra. If they do have insurance, it typically includes generic coverage that will not protect you should various situations occur. Hong Kong offers a great public healthcare system but as we are experiencing now can only provide so much care.
Private health insurance options are becoming more and more popular, especially among English-speaking ex-pats working in Hong Kong. As none of us knows when a serious illness can strike us or a loved one, making sure you have the best international health coverage is critical.
Most people used to socialized medicine, assume incorrectly that private medical must cost a small fortune. In fact, there are many popular options that, because they are private, are competitive with the market while offering much more protection.
What type of coverage should I get?
There is a range of health care options each with its own parameters. Review the following to understand which would be best for you and your family:
- Inpatient- treatment and medications covered in a hospital setting. Also covers, pre-op and advanced testing, as well as post-op followup visits.
- Outpatient – most popular option this coverage includes all of the inpatient services, as well as doctor and specialist appointments, prescriptions, rehab, diagnostics and vaccines. Some pre-existing conditions may be covered as well
- Maternity – If you are planning on starting or adding to your family, you will want to make sure you have maternity insurance. This covers emergency C-Sections, routine check-ups and treatments, and your newborn will also be covered upon birth.
- Alternative therapy – since alternative medicine is so prevalent in Asia, there is insurance coverage that will pay for a variety of traditional medical treatments from acupuncture to homoeopathy.
- Dental Coverage – often overlooked, dental care is very important. Since dental can be very expensive many places will offer a variety of options to cover basic routine and major treatments.
- Chronic conditions – whether you suffer from a chronic or pre-existing condition you are probably aware that insurance isn’t available but you can still review to see if you have a condition that can get coverage.
If you don’t have health insurance or are interested in upgrading your health insurance Hong Kong, review a thorough list and choose a plan that is best for you and your family. Companies like Trusted Union, are experts in their niche, providing a wide variety of insurance options from health to indemnity insurances as well. Do your research so your family is protected regardless of what is going in in the world.
Interesting related article: “What is Health Insurance?”