Did you know that it’s normal for the elderly to develop high blood pressure? Ageing slows the body down, and that’s why you see older adults wrestle conditions like high blood pressure.
Fortunately, if you manage the illness properly, you’ll have a normal and healthy life. So, here are 6 steps to better high blood pressure treatment for older adults.
1. Digital care
Thanks to modern innovations in technology, high blood pressure patients can use digital software to manage their health.
Today if you want to know how to control high blood pressure in old age, all you need is the right software.
Not all senior citizens experience the known signs and symptoms, you know? Hence, caregivers must pay attention and monitor their patients repeatedly.
Therefore digital care planning helps you keep track of medication, doctors ‘appointments, frequency of attacks, and other vital details of the patient.
2. Adopting a lifestyle
Since high blood pressure is a lifestyle disease, the secret to managing it is living right. The 6 steps to better high blood pressure treatment for older adults won’t work until you do the following:
- Have regular exercise. You don’t have to go to the gym. A brisk walk to the park will do.
- Stop smoking. This sounds harsh, but cigarettes will only worsen your blood pressure.
- Avoid too much alcohol. Check with your doctor to know how much wine and liquor you can enjoy in a month.
- Eat healthily. You can easily manage high blood pressure in elderly adults with food.
- You know how essential water is to your health. However, talk to your doctor to know how much water you should take in a day.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Get enough sleep.
3. Deal with the triggers
Consider these causes of high blood pressure in older adults:
- Lack of exercise
- Alcohol, tobacco and illegal drugs
- Too much salt
- Too much junk
From the factors above, which one is your trigger? Kindly seek help immediately if you feel addicted to any of these behaviors. You can also join support groups near you for social and psychological support.
4. Have regular check-ups
Managing hypertension in the elderly can feel like an uphill task if you don’t go for check-ups regularly. So, it would be best if you did not stop consulting the doctor after the initial diagnosis.
Visiting your doctor will:
- Help experts detect when the disease has reached life-threatening levels
- Help you keep your blood pressure level stable and healthy
- Give you moral support
- Help you manage your triggers if you have an addiction
Are you one of those people that keep forgetting doctors’ appointments? Don’t worry. Install care management software, and each time you’re due for a review, the system will alert you.
5. Stick to the prescription
You know, it’s the nature of human beings to self-medicate. Hence, you could be tempted to skip, reduce, or alter your prescription to suit how you feel. Please don’t do that. Instead, consult your doctor when you think you need an adjustment to your dose.
Have you heard of yoga for blood pressure? Yoga is an essential part of better high blood pressure treatment for older adults. As a beginner, you can try simple asanas then advance with time.
The above 6 steps to better high blood pressure treatment for older adults will give you the relief you’re looking for. Hypertension is not a death sentence when the patient receives the right care on time and is willing to follow doctors’ orders to the letter.
Interesting related article: “What is Health?“