Lyft and Uber have transformed how we travel by providing a more affordable and convenient alternative to traditional taxi cabs. Unfortunately, the risk of being injured in a serious car accident is pretty much the same. As ridesharing apps grow increasingly popular, car accidents involving Lyft and Uber vehicles are also increasing, leaving drivers, passengers, and those around them on the roadway at risk of severe injuries.
Being involved in a traffic accident as a driver or passenger of a rideshare vehicle can be an overwhelming and frustrating experience. You could be dealing with injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages, all while attempting to understand the complicated legal matters pertaining to the accident. If you were involved in an accident involving a rideshare vehicle, an experienced Uber accident lawyer can help.
What Types of Car Accidents Does an Uber Lawyer Handle?
A Lyft or Uber accident lawyer will be able to help you in a variety of accident scenarios involving rideshare vehicles. Some of the most common types of California rideshare accidents that a rideshare accident attorney can help with are:
- Car accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Multi-vehicle accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Vehicle rollover accidents
How Can an Uber Accident Lawyer Help My Case?
A Lyft or Uber accident lawyer is someone who specializes in dealing with cases relating to accidents involving rideshare vehicles. They have first-hand knowledge of the distinct complexities and legal issues that are often involved in these cases. If you think it isn’t that important to work with an attorney who routinely practices these kinds of cases, take a look at just a few of the ways an Uber accident lawyer can benefit your case:
- Investigate your accident: An experienced rideshare attorney will have the resources necessary to investigate your accident and determine who is to blame. They can collect material evidence such as police crash reports, eyewitness testimonies, and surveillance videos to build the strongest case possible on your behalf.
- Negotiate with the insurance company: Both Lyft and Uber have extensive auto insurance policies that cover accidents involving rideshare drivers. Dealing with these insurance carriers can, however, be stressful and complicated, especially when they try to convince you to accept a lowball settlement because it saves them money. A Lyft or Uber car accident attorney will have the ability to negotiate with the insurance carrier and ensure you receive a settlement that fairly compensates you for all of your damages.
- Determine liability: Due to the complex nature of rideshare accidents, accurately determining liability takes a considerable amount of skill. Based on the facts of your accident, the rideshare company, the rideshare driver, or a third party could be liable. An experienced attorney will be able to determine who is responsible and bring them to book.
- Calculate your damages: Along with property damage and medical expenses, you could be eligible for other forms of damages as well, such as emotional trauma, pain and suffering, and lost wages. A Lyft or Uber accident lawyer can calculate the full scope of your damages and make sure that you obtain full and fair financial compensation for all of your losses.
- Take your case to trial: If it should be the case that the insurance carrier refuses to make a fair settlement offer, your Uber accident attorney can advocate for you in court. They can present a strong case before a judge and jury and fight for your right to recovery.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit for a Rideshare Accident?
The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit in the state of California is, by and large, two years from the day the accident took place. In other words, you have until the second anniversary of your rideshare accident or the day you discovered your injuries to bring a personal injury lawsuit against the liable party or parties.
If you are injured in a Lyft or Uber car accident, it is necessary to keep the statute of limitations in mind if you plan on filing a lawsuit. If the deadline passes before you file, your claim will be time-barred, you will not be able to file another lawsuit, and you will lose your right to collect financial compensation for good. It is important to take legal action right away after a rideshare accident, otherwise your case will be dismissed and you will have to cover your damages out of your own pocket.
Common Lyft and Uber Accident Injuries
The circumstances of your rideshare accident will determine the severity of your injuries. Some of the most common injuries sustained in California Lyft and Uber accidents are:
- Head injuries
- Concussions/Traumatic brain injuries
- Back injuries
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Traumatic amputation
- Internal bleeding/Internal organ damage
- Spinal cord injuries/Paralysis
What Damages Am I Entitled to After a Rideshare Accident?
If you were injured in a Lyft or Uber accident, you may be eligible to receive financial compensation for your damages and losses, including:
- Medical bills: You can recover damages for the expense of your emergency transportation, hospitalization, medical treatments and procedures, prescription medications, physical therapy, doctor’s appointments, and more.
- Loss of wages: You can be compensated for any work you missed while recovering from your rideshare accident-related injuries. In the event that your injuries are long-term or permanent, you may also be able to recover compensation for diminished earning capacity.
- Emotional anguish: Rideshare accident victims can sue for the emotional trauma and anguish associated with their accident.
- Property damage: If your personal vehicle or other personal property were damaged, you would be eligible to recover the costs of repairs or replacement.
- Punitive damages: In rare cases, you may be entitled to collect punitive damages. Unlike those previously listed, punitive damages are non-compensatory but rather intended to penalize the defendant for behavior considered especially wanton or egregious, such as drunk driving.
The kinds and amounts of damages you are entitled to will depend on the severity of your injuries. An experienced rideshare accident lawyer from Soliman Law Office can calculate your total damages and ensure you do not settle for less than your case is worth.
Interesting Related Article: “How to Make a Claim for an Uber Car Accident“