Nowadays, so much of the work is done online on your laptops. You must have thought of getting your laptop connected to an external monitor when you must have required a dual-screen setup. There are many ways of connecting an external monitor to your laptop. These methods include the conventional method using wires and cables and the latest wireless methods as well.
With so many advancements in technology, you can now connect your external monitor to a laptop wirelessly. There is no need for you to get tangled in the mess created by wires and cables. There are many options for connecting an external monitor to your laptop wirelessly.
We have put together a comprehensive guide for connecting an external monitor to a laptop wirelessly.
Checkpoints for Connecting External Monitor to Laptop
Generally, the monitors do not have an in-built Bluetooth connectivity in them. The monitors must have a secure connection to a CPU (Central Processing Unit) or to an external monitor such as an Apple TV which is compatible with connecting to the wireless networks at your home.
For Apple products, you need to check that your devices are compatible with and support Apple AirPlay. For Windows laptops, you need to check that your devices have Miracast, which is an in-built wireless technology. If you do not have devices that support these technologies, then you need to download and install them on your devices.
Apart from the options listed above, you can still connect an external monitor to your laptop using various third-party apps and services including the Chromecast or PeakDo which is a wireless HDMI product. In any case, you will require a stable network connection for connecting an external monitor to your laptop wirelessly.
Windows 11 Laptop
Installing Wireless Display Feature
To install the wireless display feature in your laptop, follow the below steps:
- You will find the Windows icon at the bottom left of your screen. Tap on it.
- Next, navigate to Settings and then select Optional Features in Apps.
- Once you select Optional Features, tap on View Features. Now, search on Wireless Display or click on Add an Optional feature.
You can now install the Wireless Display. The process of installing might take some time and if you have a stable network connection, the installation will be quick.
Connecting External Monitor Wirelessly
Follow the below steps to connect an external monitor wirelessly:
- Navigate to Settings and then tap on System.
- You will see an option of Multiple Displays, tap on it.
- Click on the drop-down menu and click on the Detect option.
- Note that this will only work if the monitor has some wireless connection system like Wi-fi Direct, Google Chromecast, Miracast, etc.
Once your monitor is detected you need to select the Connect option which will connect your laptop to the selected external monitor wirelessly.
Choosing Display preferences
To manage your display preferences, you need to follow the below steps:
- Navigate to the Settings and then tap on System.
- Next, click on Display.
- In this section, you will find the option for Identify which has a screen number for each type of display.
- In the next step, select the display that you want to choose and then tap on Identify.
Note that you can duplicate your displays by getting the display mirrored on the laptop and on the external monitor. Your laptop screen will be mirrored on your external monitor and whatever you do will be seen as it is on the monitor.
You can also Extend your display if you need to obtain a larger screen. The external monitor serves as a secondary screen and your monitor and the laptop can be used as a dual-screen setup.
You can add the feature named Cast to your settings to get a wire-free casting experience on your laptop and external monitor.
How to Make Your Laptop or Computer a Wireless Display
Just in case you do not have an external monitor, but have an extra laptop to spare, you can use it as an additional screen. To use your laptop as a wireless display, follow the below steps:
- Navigate to Settings and then go to System.
- Then, click on Projecting to this PC.
- You will see some options below this. Then click on Available Everywhere on Secure Networks. The option that is there is Available Everywhere. Select any of these.
- You can now be able to use the Wireless Display App to project on your laptop or computer for a wireless experience.
How to Connect Wireless Devices to your Laptop or Computer
Now that you know how to connect your laptop screen to an external monitor wirelessly, you might have thought of connecting some other external devices to your laptop or computer. These devices include a keyboard, mouse, or headphones so that you get a complete setup with your laptop. These devices help you in enhancing your user experience for your laptop.
Follow the below steps to connect other external devices to your laptop:
- Navigate to Settings and then click on Turn on Bluetooth.
- Tap on Devices and click on Add Device.
You can connect external devices to your laptop by following the steps mentioned above.
If you want to learn more about external monitors, you can visit Techverbs.
Alternative Third-Party Devices to Connect Wirelessly
If your monitor is not compatible with certain features like the AirPlay, you can opt for some third-party display technologies including the Google Chromecast, HDMI, or the Miracast. Miracast is one of the most common third-party apps used for wireless displays. However, Apple devices are not compatible with Miracast.
There are many ways to connect your laptop to an external monitor. If you want to wirelessly connect your laptop to an external monitor, you have numerous options. The cable-free method to connect the laptop to an external monitor has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Apart from being convenient, wireless technologies are easy to use and do not need any extra equipment. You just need to check whether your devices are compatible with the technologies that you are planning to use.
Using wires to connect your laptop to an external monitor is still a reliable method. However, you can connect your laptop to external monitors wirelessly by following the steps mentioned above and enjoy your streaming on a dual monitor setup.
Interesting Related Article: “Wireless Workplace – 5 Technological Advances for a Safer, More Efficient Business“