Launching and running various projects more and more often integrates into the realm of human activities. Among the wide range of technologies, providing the fruitful results, the best known are Agile technologies, whose main principle is the flexible step by the step development process, where after each phase the team gets the valid output. Basically, Scrum is defined as sufficiently effective methodology, providing positive results.
Definition and origins of Scum
The notion of “scrum” appeared in the mid-80s of the twentieth century published by Hirotaka Takeuchi and Ikujiro Nonaka. Later, American programmer Jeffrey Sutherland applied the approach while thinking over the successful methodology for his own company «Easel» and named it «Scrum». A few years later, Ken Schwaber formalized this process as applied to the entire industry in general. Despite this fact, it was made for IT-project development, nowadays it’s practiced extensively in other spheres, wherein it’s rather focused on the «development» then «coordination». Every single project-making phase incorporates specific stages like planning, implementation, review, and release. Obviously, applying Scrum technology correctly to advance the efficiency of the team is more complicated than to create a poll on Slack and requires particular knowledge.
Scrum involves three fundamental components:
– Product Owner is a person in charge of its development who defines work tasks.
– Scrum Master is the most significant person in the process. He ensures the highest productivity of the team and provides a clear connection within all the members; eliminates problems hindering the balanced fulfillment of the tasks as well as provides adherence to the working process.
– Delivery Team is a group of 5-9 ambitious and independent people. Its main purpose is to set a realistic, predictable and meaningful goal for each phase. The team has to meet the deadline, reach set goals and evaluate their work.
– Daily Scrum Meeting is held in the morning before the work starts to inform the members about their duties and things to do as well as to share information and clarify the goals.
– Sprint Review Meeting is held at the end of the Sprint where team members show their accomplishments.
– Sprint Abnormal Termination usually is required due to special occasions and means that the Sprint can be canceled.
– Product Backlog is created by the Product Owner and reviles the technical and functional requirements.
– Sprint Backlog is a list of tasks to be completed within the defined terms of the Scrum Sprint.
– Burndown Chart displays the daily change in the total amount of work. With it, the team can analyze the current situation and respond to changes in time.
It becomes clear, that Scrum is a real discovery for people who often deal with projects. Among its superb advantages are orientation and adaptability, which allows changing the project requirements at any time. Moreover, the Scrum method is focused on the multifunctional people able to solve various tasks with minimum guidance and it is easy to master.