Many vape users worldwide often have questions about e-liquid. This guide aims to provide answers to commonly asked questions, including its composition, nicotine dosage, and specificities.
What is e-liquid made up of?
Contrary to misconceptions, the composition of e-liquid is well-known and consists of the following components:
- Propylene glycol (PG): a colourless and odourless liquid that serves as a significant component in e-liquid formulations. It finds extensive use in industries such as food preservation, synthetic resin production, and industrial solvents. PG is also a common ingredient in consumer products like toothpaste and hair care items. In e-liquid, PG plays a role as an aroma enhancer and contributes to the sensation known as the “hit,” which aims to replicate the throat contraction experienced by smokers.
- Vegetable glycerin： A key component of e-liquid, working in conjunction with propylene glycol. It serves as a base, contributing to the volume of vapor produced and offering a smoother experience compared to propylene glycol (PG). Vegetable glycerine is derived entirely from plants, making it a safe ingredient without associated health risks. This versatile substance is widely used in various everyday products, including soap, mouthwash, and food additives.
- Vegetol: A 100% vegetable-based alternative to propylene glycol (PG) in e-liquid. It is derived from the fermentation of vegetable glycerin. Vegetol provides a comparable “hit” sensation to PG but without the potential for irritation or allergies. Some studies indicate that vegetol may even enhance the intensity of flavors in e-liquids. This alternative option offers vapers a potentially preferable experience while avoiding any adverse reactions commonly associated with PG.
Nicotine is an ingredient that can be found in e-liquid, but its inclusion is not mandatory. It is added to provide a sensation similar to the “hit” experienced with PG. The concentration of nicotine in e-liquid varies and depends on individual smoking habits. The recommended nicotine levels in e-liquid are determined based on factors such as the frequency and intensity of a person’s smoking habits. This allows vapers to choose e-liquids with nicotine concentrations that align with their personal preferences and smoking patterns.
- Occasional smokers (less than 10 cigarettes per day/light, light cigarettes): Recommended nicotine levels range from 3 mg/ml to 8 mg/ml.
- Moderate smokers (10 to 20 cigarettes per day/blond cigarettes, classic): Recommended nicotine levels range from 10 mg/ml to 16 mg/ml.
- Heavy smokers (more than 20 cigarettes per day/strong cigarettes, without filters): Recommended nicotine levels range from 18 mg/ml to 20 mg/ml.
Aroma: E-liquids offer a wide variety of flavours, including both synthetic and natural options. These flavours can range from sweet and fruity to cocktail-inspired profiles.
The aroma concentration in e-liquid is typically around 15%. It’s important to note that all aromas undergo thorough testing and approval to ensure their safety for consumption.
Health Effects of Vaping: A Safer Alternative to Smoking
Electronic cigarettes, commonly known as vapes, have been considered as a potential alternative to conventional cigarettes with potential health benefits.
According to independent studies, vaping is believed to be approximately 95% less harmful than smoking traditional cigarettes. The ingredients in e-liquids undergo rigorous testing and approval processes to ensure safety.
Vaping is often considered less harmful to the throat compared to smoking, and it provides the advantage of better regulation and control over nicotine intake, which can be beneficial for managing addiction. It’s worth noting that while vaping may have potential advantages over smoking, it is still important to exercise caution and make informed decisions about one’s own health.
While completely quitting cigarettes is ideal, transitioning to vaping provides a healthier and more environmentally friendly option. It empowers individuals to regain control over their consumption and work towards a healthier lifestyle.
Interesting Related Article: “The Safe & Harmful Ingredients in Vape Juices“