This Market Business News information article provides detailed information on the pharmaceutical company Johnson & Johnson.
Johnson & Johnson focuses on producing/providing: pharmaceuticals, diverse medical devices and diagnostics, and consumer healthcare products.
Johnson & Johnson’s prescription drug, Remicade (infliximab), for the treatment of Crohn’s disease, psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, rheumatoid arthritis and ulcerative colitis, is the 8th best-selling drug in the world.
A speech on antiseptics by Joseph Lister influenced three brothers to create their own ready-to-use surgical dressings. In 1886 the company began producing their first products.
The first president of the company was Robert Wood Johnson. Robert Johnson greatly influenced better sanitation practices in the 1800’s.
In 1898 the company was the first to mass produce affordable dental floss. Only a few years later (in 1901) Johnson & Johnson published the first First Aid Manuals, which included the proven best practices from leading doctors.
In the late 1950’s Johnson & Johnson acquired McNeil Laboratories and Cilag Chemie, AG, which helped boost the company’s production of pharmaceutical products.
Other company information
- Chairman and CEO: Alex Gorsky
- Headquarters: New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
- Employees: 117,900 (2012)
- S&P 500 Component
- Company subsidiaries: Neutrogena, McNeil Consumer Healthcare, Depuy, and Vistakon.
2013 Johnson & Johnson Financial Results (FY 2013 results)
Sales revenue by segment of business:
- Consumer: $14.697 billion USD
- Pharmaceutical: $28.125 billion USD
- Medical Devices & Diagnostics: $28.490 billion USD
- Total sales revenue: $71.312 billion USD
- Cost of products sold: $22,342 billion USD
- Selling, marketing and administrative expenses: $21,830 billion USD
- Research and development expenses: $8,183 billion USD
- In-process research and development: $0.580 billion USD
- Interest (income) expense, net: $0.408 billion USD
- Other (income) expense, net: $2,498 billion USD
- Earnings before provision for taxes on income: $15,471 billion USD
- Provision for taxes on income: $1,640 billion USD
- Net earnings: 13.831 billion USD
Read the full “Johnson & Johnson Reports 2013 Fourth-Quarter and Full-Year Results”.
Alex Gorsky, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, commented on the results:
“Johnson & Johnson delivered strong results in 2013 led by the outstanding performance in our Pharmaceutical business, the strength of key brands in our US OTC and other Consumer businesses and continued progress in integrating Synthes into our Medical Devices and Diagnostics business. We also advanced our longer term growth drivers, bringing innovative solutions to the global healthcare market and executing with excellence.”
“I am proud of our exceptional Johnson & Johnson colleagues for their commitment to leading with purpose and advancing health and well-being for patients and consumers around the world.”
Live Johnson & Johnson stock information