Getting injured as a result of someone else’s recklessness can inconvenience you in so many ways. You may also be forced to spend a lot on treatment. The good thing is you can file a suit against any person who causes such type of harm to you. Commonly referred to as a personal injury case, you can easily get compensated for the medical expenses if you argue your case right. The right person to look for in such a scenario is a personal injury attorney. MG Law is a law firm with the best Atlanta injury attorneys to help you out in such a case. There is a myriad of things you have to know about a personal injury case before filing this type of suit. We will have a look at them in this article.
Examples of Personal Injury Cases
Personal injury law includes a wide range of case types, from facilities liability to defective products. Popular personal injury suits are listed below:
- Brain injuries
- Burn injuries
- Spinal injuries/paralysis
- Dog bite injuries
- War wounds
- Nursing home injuries
- Medical negligence
- Wrongful death
- Dangerous products and drugs
- Car crashes
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bus accidents
- Truck accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle crashes
- Slip and fall accidents
How to Know the Worth of Your Personal Injuries
The settlement you receive after a personal injury lawsuit can range from several hundred to million-dollar compensation. It all depends on the seriousness of your injuries, the skill level of your legal representation, and a variety of other circumstances. It is helpful to understand the types of damages available in a personal injury claim to get a better idea of how much your claim may be worth.
Compensatory damages are the most common types of damages in personal injury claims. This type compensates the claimant for losses suffered as a result of the injury. These include economic and non-economic damages.
- Medical bills: consisting of past and future bills for continuing care, rehabilitation and physical therapy, or end-of-life care and funeral expenses in wrongful death cases.
- Lost wages: this includes the time you were unable to fend for yourself, job loss directly related to the accident/injury, reduced earning capacity, and partial or total disability resulting in loss of your livelihood.
- Loss of property: including your car and other personal items. You can receive compensation to repair your property, replace it, or refund its fair market value.
They include, but are not limited to:
- Pain and suffering: Understandably, coming up with a monetary value of suffering or pain can be hard. Pain and suffering mean the physical and psychological or discomfort you will go through during or after a crash.
- Emotional distress: This includes fear and anxiety experienced during the accident or injury, but also afterward. Many people involved in an accident may have problems with post-traumatic stress disorder, panic attacks, and depression.
- Lack of enjoyment: This includes the inability to participate in daily activities and hobbies due to the injury.
- Loss of consortium: referring to the damaging effects of the injury on the spouse or children of the victim. This includes the loss of parenthood and companionship.
Do I need a personal injury attorney?
When injured, your priority should always be to get the comprehensive medical care you need. Once you have done this, it is recommended that you contact a trusted personal injury attorney to set up a consultation.
First deliberations (usually provided at no fee to you) allow you to have your suit examined by a qualified legal expert. They can let you know whether your claim is viable, help you calculate the number of damages you are owed, and develop a winning case strategy.
One of the things you should consider when looking for a personal injury attorney is experience. Look for someone with the required expertise for the job. An attorney who has represented several clients is the best. You should also consider the number of cases won. The other thing to look into carefully is their legal fees. Do not forget to consider their reputation. With the right attorney, you are guaranteed compensation.
Interesting Related Article: “Why Should You Hire A Personal Injury Attorney?“