The new year has come with its own set of fitness goals. Some dream of losing those 5 extra pounds while others want to grow muscles and bulk up. Whatever your preference may be, following a diet will not only help you get fit, but it will also prevent you from developing any dangerous health issues like cardiovascular disease. However, not all diets are created equal; what made your friend look amazing on New Year’s Eve might not work for you. You have to consider your individual needs before you get too excited and follow the first diet you find online.
Therefore, we have compiled a list of some important things to consider before following any diet. In addition, we have included some examples of diet plans you may want to take a look at.
1. Assess Your Needs
As we said, there is no size fits all when it comes to diets. There are important factors you have to take into consideration before starting any diet. Some of these factors can include:
- Your budget: Being healthy does not come cheap; you need to figure out how much money you are willing to spend. If you have a big budget, you may want to consult a dietitian who can set a plan for you according to your goals. Sometimes, this may not be feasible if you don’t have the extra cash to spend on personalized diets. However, you can search online to find an existing one that fits your fitness objectives.
- Fat burners: Do you want to use supplements in your diet? You might want to consider fat burner supplements, as they may help you shed extra fat. Nonetheless, the market is oversaturated with many fat burners, so these choices can be a good place to start. Remember, a good fat burner gives you a metabolic boost because it gives a sign to your nervous system to burn more calories. It can also decrease your appetite, thus allowing you to lose weight. Please consult with your doctor before starting these fat burners.
- Health conditions: Some health conditions can stop you from following certain diets. In case you suffer from hypertension or any heart problems, then you are a great candidate for the AHA (American Heart Association) and the DASH diets because they focus on lowering your salt intake. Most importantly, it is better to consult your doctor about your condition first; better safe than sorry.
- Time: Busy schedules can hinder your diet. Make sure that you have enough time to cook for yourself. Working all day might make you more inclined to eat out rather than put in some effort to cook.
2. Some Diet Examples
Now that you know what to consider before starting a new diet you can take a look at the following diets to see if any of them suit your goals.
- The Mediterranean diet: If you are a vegetarian, then this one’s for you. The Mediterranean diet has been all the rage for vegetarians recently. It is based on fruits, vegetables, and healthy sources of fat, such as olive oil and seeds. This diet helps reduce your risk of developing heart diseases. Nonetheless, following it entails some big expenses, and it also encourages people to stay away from meat and sugar.
- The DASH diet: Dubbed as the best diet overall, the DASH, Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension, diet focuses on reducing your intake of salt. The great thing about this diet is that it does not completely stop you from consuming any food group. It is all about moderation and controlled portions. You can start by adding some greens and low-fat products as well as reducing meals that contain meat.
- The HMR diet: The Health Management Resources diet is closely tied to the famous show The Biggest Loser. It is tailored to fit the needs of those who want to lose weight quickly. Yet, its method is a bit unorthodox, as it substitutes meals with shakes and bars. These options might not be appetizing for many, but the fact remains that this is the best diet for shedding your extra few pounds. In addition to its focus on controlled portions, it also encourages physical activity to reach your goals.
Sticking to a diet is never easy; some days, you just wake up lacking the motivation to go on. However, dedication is key when it comes to achieving your fitness goals. Before deciding that you will follow a trendy diet you’ve heard about just because everyone is on it, determine your needs, and consult your doctor. The points listed above may help kick-start your dietary plans and help you get the body you dream of in 2020, but ultimately it’s all about how determined and motivated you are.