If you are less than thrilled with how your skin looks, you’re not alone. Plenty of factors can cause your skin issues—even something as simple as using the wrong products for your skin can wreak havoc on your complexion. Make sure you nurture your skin with a daily routine designed for your specific skin type.
Everyone’s skin is unique with specific needs. Take this quiz to help your skin find its perfect match (like a dating profile).
Skin Type Quiz
1. How would you describe your face overall?
- Shine-city: oily skin
- Dry patches, dull: dry skin
- Irritated, red: sensitive skin
- Shiny T-zone and dull cheeks: combination
2. Do you have small pores, large pores, medium sized pores, or large pores mainly in the T- zone?
- Small to medium-size all over: sensitive, dry skin
- Large, easy-to-see: oily skin
- Large in the T-zone, small elsewhere: combination skin
3. When does your skin look red?
- When I use a new product: sensitive skin
- Any time I have blemishes or acne: combination skin
- Sometimes on my cheeks: dry skin
- Always: oily skin
4. How often does your skin feel parched or dried out?
- Sometimes after washing or being in the sun: combination, oily skin
- Always: sensitive, dry skin
Combine your answers to see which category is the best fit for your face.
Get to Know Your Complexion
Your next step to your ultimate skincare routine is to better understand your skin type.
Your skin sports a pretty constant shine from the over-production of oils. You may also get oily hair easier than your friends.
Sometimes you feel like your skin is constantly red and dying for hydration. You struggle with dry, flaky skin. You’re always doubling up on moisturiser.
Your face is often red and irritated from too much sun, too much washing, or on a Wednesday. You get rashes easily.
Parts of your skin are dull and dry, but others are acne prone and oily. What gives?
The Best Skincare Routine for Your Unique Skin
A ground-breaking skincare line, USANA Celavive features products specifically designed for your unique skin type. This exclusive skincare includes an essential regimen for both dry/sensitive and oily/combination skin.
Cleansers, toners, and ultra-hydrating products, as well as a new brightening line help to correct the appearance of natural discolouration and bring a bright, youthful glow back to your face.
There’s no miracle product that’s perfect for every face. To keep your skin looking healthy and glowing, establish a stellar morning and night skincare routine for optimal results. Pro tip: Your skin changes as you age, and your skincare should change with it. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when building your skincare routine:
1. Skincare Routine for Oily Skin
- A powerful, yet gentle cleanser like Celavive’s Creamy Foam Cleanser is your friend. But, don’t overdo it. If you’re using a hydroxi acid cleanser or toner to clear up your acne, it may irritate your skin and make it worse.
- Moisturise with lotions rather than creams.
- Always use a moisturiser with sun protection, like Moisturising Day Lotion with sunscreen.
2. Skincare Routine for Dry Skin
- If you currently use a powerful cleanser, you may want to reconsider. If your skin is already dry, more intense cleansers made for acne-prone skin could be stripping it of essential oils. Pick up a bottle of Gentle Milk Cleanser to lift away dirt and oil.
- Check the ingredients in your toner as well. Opt for something gentle, like this Perfecting Toner.
- Always use serums and hydrating products in your day and night skincare routine.
3. Skincare Routine for Sensitive Skin
- Patch test new products to save yourself from uncomfortable redness, stinging, or breakouts. Apply a small amount to your hand, the inside of your arm, or on your neck if you’re afraid of applying it to your face the first time around. See how your skin reacts.
- Always choose gentler formulas and beware of added fragrances. A lovely, gentle face wash that still cleans your pores is Gentle Milk Cleanser.
- Hydrate and protect your skin with creams like Moisturising Day Cream with sunscreen.
4. Skincare Routine for Combination Skin
- You get to pick and choose which products your skin plays well with from the oily and sensitive categories. You might want to use a more powerful cleanser on your T-zone where you’re oily and have more blemishes, and a gentle cleanser on the rest of your face.
- Switch off between a moisturising cream and lotion on different days of the week. Or use one for your daytime skincare routine, and another for night. It’s all about balance.
- A brightening product like Light Complexion Serum may be just the thing to give you an all-over glow.
Being self-conscious about your skin can be difficult—especially with influencers and skincare gurus splashed all over social media. Be kind to your skin, and yourself. It takes time to adapt to new products—so, give a new skincare routine a few weeks to take effect. And if there’s something you’re frustrated with, don’t hesitate to set up an appointment with a local dermatologist.
But, most importantly, you are uniquely, flaw-fully beautiful just being you. The perfect skincare routine is simply an added bonus—one you can stick to that leaves you feeling happy both inside and out.
About the Writer
Living and writing in Utah, Shauntel Peterson finds stories in unexpected places, like antique stores, hiking trails, and secret gardens.
Interesting related article: “Juices for healthy skin.”