The Complete Guide to US Immigration for International Students and Graduates

The U.S. has created some special visas for international students who either want to stay in the country or return to their home country after graduation. Let this article take you through all of these options and help you find the right path for you! You can also ask help to an immigration lawyer  if you want.

Types of Visas for International Graduates

There are a few different visas students can apply for in the U.S. If they want to stay in the country, they can apply for an Optional Practical Training (OPT) extension, which will allow them to work in the U.S. for up to 12 months after graduation. If they want to return home, they can get a student visa that will allow them to return to their home country and live there for another 6 years before visiting the U.S.

The student visa is typically reserved for international students who have studied abroad or completed a degree outside of the United States. One of the benefits of this visa is that it allows students to travel back and forth between their home country and America without having to worry about any restrictions on how long they are allowed to stay here at one time, or how many times per year they are allowed to visit!

Which Visa Option Is Right For You?

Graduation has finally arrived and you’re ready to take the next step in your life, whether that means staying in America or going back home. But before you can make this decision, you have to figure out what type of visa is going to work best for your situation.

There are a few different visas that international students can choose from if they want to stay in the US after graduation. These visas include:

The F-1 Visa – This visa option is for international students who plan on staying in the US after graduation. This type of visa allows them to continue working on their degree at an American university, or switch jobs. It also allows them to get a green card, though it’s not guaranteed.

The H-1B Visa – This visa is a more permanent form of residency given to international students who completed their degrees and want to stay in America. The requirements for this visa are strict, but it’s one of the most reliable options for those graduating from college right now.

The OPT Visa – This is a restricted form of immigration that provides opportunities for international graduates who want to work temporarily in America while they look for a job with better prospects abroad. This type of visa only lasts 12 months, but a lot of change in the US immigration might not affect this.

The Application Process

To apply for a U.S. visa, the student will need to file a petition with the USCIS. The petition must be filed by their sponsor who is typically an employer or family member. To qualify for a specific type of visa, the student will also have to meet eligibility requirements for that particular visa category.

In addition to completing all of the necessary application paperwork, students must provide evidence of sufficient financial resources and a credible plan of action regarding what they’ll do after graduation to qualify for a student visa status extension or change in immigration status.

Students may also have to take additional steps if they wish to remain in the U.S. while seeking employment after graduation, such as obtaining work authorization from USCIS while their approved extension request is pending or obtaining a different nonimmigrant status while waiting for the approval of their extension request.


International students and graduates often ask us, “How do I get a visa to study in the US?”

Luckily for you, we’ve put together the ultimate guide to US immigration for international students and graduates.

Follow these steps below to find out which visa option is right for you.

Interesting Related Article: “Finding a Reputable Immigration Lawyer