Businesses across the Globe have been using Microsoft Office for many years now. With the modern technological advancements, Microsoft has also modernized its Office Suite. Microsoft offers a Cloud-based variant of Microsoft Office know as Office 365. Any business can get the Office 365 bundle by simply paying a subscription fee. As it is a cloud-based application, businesses don’t need to install it on their desktops.
So, in the Office 365 environment, a tenant is the domain account that is attached to the Office 365 Suite. The Tenant admin can have access to all the features within the subscription. During the process of Tenant to Tenant Migration Office 365, mailboxes are needed to move from the source tenant to the target tenant. Below are the pr migrations steps that every Tenant Admin should know about.
- Admins should make sure that they have enough licenses for the Target Tenant.
- Admin accounts should be created in both Target tenant and Source tenant.
- Room mailboxes, user mailboxes, and distribution groups should be created in the target tenant.
- AD DS consolidation should be performed, and both the Tenants should be synced.
- End-users should be educated on how to use the Post Migration environment.
- Admin should verify the domain of the target tenant in Microsoft 365.
- Source domain should be added in the target domain from the admin center, and TXT should be recorded in DNS.
Post following these steps, the administrator needs to wait, as the changes take 72 hours to be visible. Businesses can migrate SharePoint from one tenant to another and all the data safely and securely.
- Al detailed list of all the user mailboxes should be generated that will be migrated. A CSV file should be created for mapping.
- The lowest Value of Time-To-Live (TTL) and Mail Exchanger(MX) should be recorded for the primary domain.
- Directory sync feature should be disabled from the Microsoft 365 admin center to avoid the synchronization of any edits and changes in the source tenant account. this process can take around 24 hours to complete.
- The MS record needs to be switched to an unreachable value. Admins can use the lowest values of the Mail exchanger Record and Time To Live to put in the MS record.
- Before transferring the mailbox to the target tenant, the prime domain should be removed from the source tenant.
- The Email Address of the Microsoft 365 tenant should be restored to the default one.
- Source tenant should be clear of all the Lync Licenses. This can be done using the Lync Admin portal.
- Secondary emails should be removed from all the tenant objects.
- Admins can run the command Get-MsolUser – (Domain) using Windows PowerShell. This will help them retrieve all the objects that are still utilizing the primary email address and are refusing the removal process
Target Domain Preparation
- Admin should configure the auto-discover CNAME.
- The new domain needs to be configured in the target domain for using AD FS.
- New users should be created in the target domain, and the licenses should be allocated.
- Source domain should be set as the primary email for the New Users.
- Admins should lastly check the mail inflow and outflow.
As you see, these were the tips that will help businesses with a successful tenant to tenant migration. Apps4Rent provides migration services with data security and round-the-clock support. They also provide cloud services such as Windows Cloud Based Desktop with great end-user security and professional support.
You may be interested in: Best Strategies to Follow For Simplifying Email Management