A new era of Formula 1 has arrived and we’re set for an incredibly exciting season up ahead. So far we’ve seen some incredibly close battles on track, but the season has a long way to go and there’s a tight battle for the championship.
Formula 1 may be a global sport, but it’s not always easy to find a stream for this incredibly popular sport. Formula 1 has always been notoriously strict when it comes to using their broadcasts and streams.
Luckily though, there is a way that you can watch Formula 1 from anywhere, and we’re going to show you exactly how to do it. Keep reading to find out more about geo-blocking and how you can bypass it quickly and easily by using a cybersecurity tool.
Why You Might be Struggling to Find a Stream
If you’ve tried to watch the first couple of races of the exciting 2022 season you may have noticed that it can be extremely difficult to find a reliable stream. Even when trying to stream with a popular streaming service such as Sky Sports F1 in the UK you may be having some trouble. There are several elements as to why that is the case, and we’ll be going into detail about that below.
The main reason why you will struggle to find a good stream is because of geographical blocking, or geo-blocking for short. Geo-blocking, as frustrating as it may be, is a common problem that many internet users experience, especially those who enjoy streaming sports online.
Popular sports such as Formula 1 sell their broadcasting rights to broadcasting companies all around the world. However, these broadcasting rights also come with a strict set of rules that these companies must follow if they are to stick to their contracts.
One of the rules that these broadcasting companies need to follow is where they are allowed to stream their content. For example, Sky Sports must stream their content in the UK and ESPN only streams in the Americas.
If you try to access one of these streams and you’re not within these regions your access to the stream will be denied. This will happen even if you have an account with one of these broadcasters. The problem is that they are not allowed to broadcast outside of their region, and so will deny access to any device accessing their site from outside their region.
Websites use your IP address to determine whether you’re in the correct region to access their website or not. An IP address is a unique number that your device uses to be identified on the internet. One of the important jobs that an IP address has is to pinpoint your physical location.
Therefore, if you are able to change your IP address you will be able to access websites in different regions and you will be able to access any Formula 1 stream in the world. Luckily for us, there is a way that you can easily change your IP address, and all you need to do is install a simple cybersecurity tool on your device.
What is a VPN?
The cybersecurity you need to change your IP address is a VPN, also known as a Virtual Private Network. A VPN will allow you to connect to a secure global server in another city or country around the world. This will mask your real IP address and trick the website into thinking that you are accessing it from somewhere else. Therefore, if you change your IP address to one that is located in the UK, you will suddenly be able to access Sky Sports F1 whereas you were unable to do so before. A VPN will also encrypt your internet connection which will prevent anyone else from seeing what you are doing on your device. Using a VPN while browsing the internet will therefore give you unrivalled privacy and security.
How to Install and Use a VPN
Installing a VPN is incredibly easy, much easier than you might expect in fact. VPNs are extremely popular in our modern society, and installing them on your device is simply a case of following some easy steps (which we will provide below). There’s no need to install any extra programs or hardware on your device, and it’s a similar process to installing any other app on your device. See the quick guide below to get your VPN installed within minutes:
- Choose a premium VPN. Each VPN vendor is unique and their software has different strengths and weaknesses. Since you’re looking to stream Formula 1 we recommend finding a VPN that has a fast and stable internet connection to prevent lag and a drop in image quality.
- Download the VPN on the device you will be streaming from. If you’re going with a premium VPN you will most likely be able to find it on any major app store. You can also download the VPN directly from the vendor’s website if you prefer.
- Create an account and log in. Creating an account is as easy as following the on-screen instructions when you launch the VPN app on your device.
- Activate your VPN and connect to a global server. When connecting to a global server keep in mind that it will affect which streams you will be able to access. For example, if you want to stream using Sky Sports F!, make sure to connect to a UK server.
- Open your preferred streaming service or website. Here’s a quick tip: we found some free Formula 1 streams in the link at the beginning of the article, so make sure you check them out and connect your VPN to the correct country and use it to watch F1 for free this season!
- Find the Grand Prix you want to watch. Enjoy all the exciting action from the 2022 Formula 1 season.
Why you must avoid free VPNs
Before you get started on installing your VPN it should be noted that you may come across some free VPNs while you’re choosing which one to use. It could be tempting to use one of these free services to watch Formula 1 from anywhere in the world, but we advise you not to do so. Free VPNs often come with some drawbacks that will impact your streaming experience. When using a free VPN you may experience slower connection speeds, daily data limits, and even a limited selection of global servers (meaning you might miss out on the free streams). It’s always better to use a premium VPN, especially when it comes to streaming!
You may be interested in: Benefits Of VPN You Didn’t Know Yet