What Are The Signs My Home Has Mold? 

Have you ever heard horror stories of people with toxic mold in their homes? You may know someone who faced this problem or heard someone discussing the impacts of this on social media.

While mold can be found in many places, its commonness doesn’t make it less of a problem. Not all kinds of mold are toxic, but many varieties pose health risks, especially if the mold continues to grow throughout your house. 

Still, while most of us know that mold is dangerous, figuring out what to do about it is more challenging. If you’re like the average American, you may not know much about the signs of mold and what to do if you suspect mold in your home. 

Many homeowners have questions about identifying toxic mold. While the best way to handle a mold issue question is to contact a professional, this guide will cover some signs and symptoms to watch out for. 

Understand The Underlying Causes Of Mold

Unfortunately, there are many underlying causes of mold growth in homes. While it’s nearly impossible to list every specific scenario, generally, anytime moisture is present for too long, mold has the potential to grow. 

Still, some things are more likely to cause mold than others. Some of the most common underlying causes include:

  • Water damage from storms
  • Flooding 
  • Leaks in the home’s exterior
  • Leaky pipes

Many professionals also know mold can crop up in places the average homeowner wouldn’t expect. As the restoration experts at Chicago Water & Fire Restoration state, 

“After water damage to wall surfaces has been repaired, mold will often grow invisibly. This mold growth could occur inside the wall or on the insulation if the interior and exterior of the wall wasn’t dried properly.” 

Signs Your Home Has A Mold Issue

Because mold can grow in many places in and around your home, it’s vital to know some of the most common signs. Here are some of the things you should look for:

  • Weird musty smells
  • Dark, grimy tile grout
  • Peeling wallpaper or paint
  • Health issues that don’t seem to have any other cause
  • Discoloration or rust stains on your walls or ceilings

Unfortunately, it’s not always easy to detect mold. If you notice any signs, including strange health symptoms, be sure to work with both healthcare professionals and assess your home for mold problems.

Are All Kinds Of Mold Toxic?

Overall, it’s not a great idea to leave any kind of mold in your household. However, some types of mold are more dangerous to humans than others. There are three main categories of household molds: allergenic, pathogenic, and toxic.

Allergenic molds are generally easier to remove. Most types of allergenic mold can be cleared up by homeowners using disinfectants and aren’t as dangerous. 

Pathogenic molds are more challenging to remove than allergenic. While they can be mitigated by some disinfectants, a more extensive mold infestation of a pathogenic type will need to be removed by a professional.

Finally, toxic molds are the most dangerous. All kinds of toxic mold must be removed by experts, and the impacted materials have to be disposed of correctly. 

Err On The Side Of Caution

Because there are so many types of mold, they can’t all be treated in the same way. It’s best to be cautious and contact mold remediation professionals if you have questions or have seen any signs of mold. 

Also, if you live in a more humid environment or your home has had past water damage, you should be extra vigilant about detecting and preventing mold.