There’s a lot of information out there about immune support supplements, and a lot of different products, all claiming to be THE answer to immune support. If you’re looking for a good supplement to help you get through cold and flu season it can be overwhelming with the number of products and information.
Which ones are the best? Which ones do you really need? Do you need to have fifty different bottles of supplements in your cabinet that you try to remember to take every day?
Don’t worry, there are answers to your questions. There are a few key players in immune support, so read on to learn what they are and why you need them.
The Terrific Twelve
When it comes to immune support, there are twelve supplements that pack a powerful punch. They are:
- Vitamin D3
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B12
These supplements are essential for making your immune system run properly, which allows it to fight off any and every little virus or bacteria that comes its way. That means better health!
Let’s break down these supplements a bit more.
- Vitamin D3 is an essential supplement. We get it primarily from the sun, but most people don’t get enough of it on a daily basis. It’s important to boost your D3 intake with foods high in D3 and daily doses of a supplement.
- Vitamin C works as an antioxidant and helps protect cells from free radical damage. Since your white blood cells are crucial in keeping your immune system up it’s important to get a lot of vitamin C during the colder months.
- Vitamin A is anti-inflammatory and strengthens the intestinal immune response. This is great for keeping those stomach bugs at bay!
- Vitamin B6 plays an important part in your immune system’s functioning, as it supports biochemical reactions to help the immune system respond properly. It also helps keep those white blood cells working properly.
- Vitamin B12 is another key player for those white blood cells. It helps with keeping white blood cell production running smoothly.
- Folate is needed for your body to make DNA and RNA, which are genetic materials that direct cell function. Without folate, your body could have a poor immune response.
- Without zinc, your body becomes susceptible to harmful pathogens. Zinc helps keep your immune cells developing and functioning properly.
- Selenium is an antioxidant that lowers oxidative stress, reducing inflammation and boosting immunity.
- Copper is a trace mineral, which means it’s necessary for small amounts for our bodies to survive. It helps with making red blood cells and maintaining the immune system.
- Echinacea comes from the flowering plant named Asteraceae and contains substances that are antimicrobial and have a beneficial effect on your immune system.
- Quercetin is another antioxidant supplement that helps get rid of free radicals. It has anti-allergy properties that help stimulate the immune system.
- Turmeric also has antioxidant properties through curcumin, an anti-inflammatory compound. Turmeric as well as curcumin help with the modulation capacity of the immune system.
- Elderberry is – you guessed it, another antioxidant. It’s anti-inflammatory too, so it’s a great berry for getting your immune system in order.
All of these supplements together make for a powerful immune boost, so when you’re looking for something to take, try to find a supplement that contains at least most of these. Even if you can’t find all of them together, choosing even a few of them will aid your immune system and get it working properly.
You can, however, find supplements that contain all of the above, so just take a little time to check out the ingredients on the packaging, and you’ll be well on your way to good health.
Interesting Related Article: “Find Out More About Whey Protein Supplements“