Dessert is always the best part of any meal. Dessert from around the world? Even better! So today, we will be learning more about the Schaum torte, meaning foam cake, but what is it? Does the name ring a bell? Perhaps you have heard of Pavlova? Not the dancer!
Schaum Torte is a delicious dessert made with meringue using fresh fruits and whipped cream. While its exact origins are unknown, it could have originated in New Zealand or Australia. While we don’t know for sure, this dessert was commonly believed to be created to honour Anna Pavlova, the ever-popular and graceful ballet dancer from Russia. Consequently, you will also find this dessert under the name Pavlova.
It is made of a meringue base that tastes quite crispy or crunchy, to be exact. It is layered with delicious whipped cream, strawberries, and other fruits. The ingredients are very basic; the method of making requires skill and care.
So, without further ado, let us learn how to make Schaum Torte.
How To Make The Schaum Torte
Total Servings: 10
Calories: 108 Kcal
Preparation: Time 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour And 30 Minutes
Resting Time: 2 Hours
Total Time: 3 Hours And 50 Minutes
What You Will Need
For The Base:
- Egg whites from 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup sugar divided into three portions (i.e ½ Cup + ½ cup + ½ Cup)
For The Topping And Whip Cream:
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- ½ Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Cups Strawberry (sliced)
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Pan (springform)
The Making Of The Schaum Torte
- Set the over at 250F and let it preheat.
- Cut out parchment paper into a circle and place it on the springform pan.
- Take the whites of 8 eggs into a large bowl. Use a stand mixer and beat it on low for 2 minutes.
- To this, add 1 teaspoon of vinegar and resume beating.
- Next, add the vanilla and salt, and while beating, add ½ a cup of sugar and continue to beat for a minute.
- Then, mix another ½ cup of sugar and beat for a minute.
- Repeat the step until the meringue has glossy and stiff peaks.
- Transfer the mixture and spread it in the baking pan
- Place this in the oven & bake for 90 minutes.
- Once it is ready, turn off the oven and leave it to rest for at least 2 hours undisturbed.
The Whip Cream
- Take two cups of heavy cream into a stand mixer and add ½ cup of powdered sugar into it.
- Beat it until it is firm.
Prepare The Strawberries
Wash and clean the strawberries thoroughly. Make sure they are completely dry, and slice them into any shape and size you like. For the Schaum Torte, large slices are often preferred. You can keep them whole and make a little slice on top.
Once the meringue has had its rest, you can begin assembling. Be very careful when removing the Schaum torte from the pan. While a little breakage is normal, you want to avoid breaking it apart too much. The bottom and top will come apart separately. Remove the top and place it aside safely. Use the whipping cream on the base to ensure the torte doesn’t move around too much.
Garnish the Schaum Torte with the whipped cream on the top and add the strawberries to it. Then add the top crust of the meringue on top of this. You can now sprinkle any broken pieces of meringue torte to the sides and attach them using whipped cream.
If you can, make the Schaum Torte at night and leave it in the oven overnight. This will give the meringue base more than 2 hours of rest and help achieve a more perfect texture. Making it on the same day that you plan to serve it might not be a good decision. It is just not the same at all when it is placed in the refrigerator. Torte will become too soft, and the texture, what it is known for, will just not be the same.
You can add a variety of seasonal fruits to this dish. It is often garnished with kiwi, strawberries, and passionfruit, but you can go as crazy as you like.
Keep this In Mind!
The recipe is easy and simple enough, but there are a few points you should remember while making this.
- Do NOT grease the baking pan. Only parchment paper is required for this.
- Once the torte is ready, turn off the oven, and do not open it. Any amount of moisture or humidity will destroy its texture. Let it rest in the oven until it’s time to assemble it.
That brings us to the end of everything you need to know about the Schaum Torte! Still not sure how it’s made? Well, never fear – Girls Nite Live to the rescue.
Head on over to Girls Nite Live to learn how to make this dessert straight from Madalaine McDaniel from the Lakeside Table. Here, you can learn how to make regular meringue as well as a low-carb variation. You will also learn all the secret tips and tricks to making the perfect Schaum torte. While you’re there, do check out what else Girls Nite Live has to offer.
Interesting Related Article: “Craft Ideas You Can Use For Mother’s Day 2023 and Beyond“