T-shirts are clothing articles that constantly reflect our characters, interests, and identities. This has made t-shirts one of the most popular things to make and sell online, especially for entrepreneurs and artists looking to start a relatively low investment business. Article contributed by Sabahat Akhter, the Project Manager for leading printing companies producing promotional advertising products. She has experience in Data Management and Products Quality Assurance. QA and large scale production workflows are her expertise.
With the popularity of custom t-shirt companies, you will undoubtedly face some competition. But you can find your success at home by building a brand for a specific audience and creating the kind of t-shirt design that your customers want.
- Do market research before investing time and money to determine whether your shirt is going to be appealing to buyers.
First, decide who would be the absolute prospect for your custom t-shirt idea. You don’t want to know if you were going to buy your t-shirt, but what price they would pay. Though selling t-shirts sounds straightforward, you’re going to waste time and money like every company without a plan. Your corporate plan outlines your product, the ideal market, financial projections, and sales objectives.
- You can make and start selling t-shirts online in a matter of minutes, but you should build an official business if you plan to make a living with them.
The start of a business starts with a business name. Your name should reflect your tshirt, but you should not restrict your ability to extend on your t-shirt. You can set up your website through a digital t-shirt printing company, but you’re also going to like to buy the domain name for that.
- The early stages of setting up your t-shirt business involve assessing all possible methods of tshirt printing. Each of these methods has its own advantages and is useful in some situations.
One thing to remember about the transfer of heat presses is the restrictions they have in colored clothes. They are best suited for white t-shirts. Problems begin when printing on darker clothing. For example, if you imprint a yellow design on blue clothing, the end product has a greenish tone.
The next option is to transfer vinyl. This option is popular for color layering capabilities and can be used to produce high-quality prints with multiple colors.
To do this, you must use a vinyl cutter to cut your artwork from a particular piece conveniently. Finally, you can use the usual heat transfer method to press the design to your fabric.
Then we have the sublimation method, which is ideal for light synthetic surfaces. This process involves the printing of the ink under heat, unlike the standard heat transfer method.
- Without a doubt, a heat press is your t-shirt printer’s most crucial aspect.
As such, you have to be as careful as possible when shopping to make sure you pick the best. Otherwise, you will produce colorless t-shirts. Don’t forget to measure your machinery’s heat and pressure aspects. Choosing the best heat press machine means the consistency of your business. If you are a beginner and have room to consider, the clamshell models would be wise. It has a small space and is ideal for home tshirt printing.
- The secret here is to work with tried and tested manufacturers— choose the best deal.
Always make sure that you work conveniently with a well-established distributor or wholesaler. When the dealer is selected, don’t be drawn to quick decisions. Most dealers will give you competitive prices, but they will send you big orders.
- Another critical point in establishing your t-shirt printer is the price maneuvering you will use when your business is now ready to start.
Of course, your main focus is profit-making. But it was always challenging to find the right price quote for beginners. To come up with a fair quote, take time to evaluate your competitors ‘business approach. You can set the right price, depending on whether you’re on the market with relatively high-end shirts or cheaper new features.
- Just as you don’t want to infringe on the copyright or trademark of another company, you don’t want others to profit from the design.
Look for the protection of your copyright or trademark design, logo, or slogan. There are several ways to put your new t-shirt on the market, but all begin to know the best buyer (age, gender, etc.) for your t-shirt and to put your tee in front of it.
Interesting related article: “What is a Startup?”