For those who are yet unfamiliar, a Virtual Private Network or VPN is a private network that allows users to create a secure connection to another network via the internet. A VPN can be used in order to keep your information private on public networks, to access sites that are restricted in your present location, etc. By connecting to your smartphone, tablet, or PC, VPNs allow users to browse the web using another computer’s safer connection.
Using a tunnel created between your device and the VPN’s web server, VPNs encrypt the data being sent over the network to prevent other people from accessing it. To those keeping a tab on who is surfing from where it appears that the computer or device is actually accessing the web from the computer, it is connected to via the VPN. In other words, if you are using a VPN in another state or country, it will appear as though you are actually surfing the web from those locations rather than your own.
In addition to allowing you the ability to surf secretly and securely, VPNs also provide users with the following benefits:
- Bypass Censorship Restrictions- One of the top benefits of using a Virtual Private Network is that it can help you bypass censorship restrictions in your area. This means if you live in an area that blocks certain types of content or subject matters, you will still be able to view them using your VPN.
- Streaming Services- Another great benefit of using a VPN is that it allows you to use streaming services for hours on end, without compromising the functionality of your own network. For instance, although many mobile companies assert that data is unlimited, they tend to slow down your services after you have used a certain amount of data. However, by using a VPN, you can surf and stream without worrying about how much data you are using.
- Stop Snoopers- Another benefit of using a VPN is that it prevents snoopers from getting your location and other personal details while you surf the web. As some may be aware, this information is readily available once someone finds out your IP address. However, by using a VPN you can prevent snoopers from finding your IP or any other information that can allow them to snoop and acquire your private information.
- Torrent Tracing- Lastly, VPNs prevent people from tracing your information while using torrent apps and sites. While these sites often allow other users to acquire your unique user information, using a VPN while downloading and sharing files on these sites prevents other users from getting your personal information.
Essential Features to Look For in an Excellent VPN
Now that we’ve learned what a VPN is and what benefits they offer, now let’s find out some of the key features to look for when purchasing a VPN. They are as follows:
- A Multitude of Server Options- Given that VPNs allow users to surf discreetly while traveling all over the world, they require a wide variety of server options and locations from users to choose from. No matter which VPN service you choose to purchase, they should be offering you a wide variety of server options to choose from at any given time.
- Kill Switch Integration- Another important feature of a VPN is the kill switch. Given that VPNs protect you when surfing on public networks, the kill switch ensures that you cannot continue surfing the web once your VPN has a malfunction. Therefore, if you are surfing the web and your VPN has an issue without your knowledge, you will be immediately disconnected to prevent people from gaining access to your information and location.
- Anonymous DNS Servers- Any great VPN will also offer anonymous DNS servers. While surfing on the web normally allows other users to access information such as your hosting provider, IP address, and more, using a VPN allows you to keep all this information private.
- Mobile Apps- Given that the average person spends much more time on tablets and smartphones than they do on actual computers, a great VPN service will offer mobile apps as well as software for your PC. That way you will never have to worry about your information being protected no matter how you opt to surf the web.
- Log-Free Surfing- Given that many people use VPNs to access sites and information that may be restricted in their area, log-free surfing is a necessary feature. This means you can surf the web as much as you like without worrying about other people being able to track your whereabouts or access logs containing this information at a later time. Therefore, you will not have to worry about dealing with local laws that have prohibited the content you wish to access.
- Reasonable Price- Another key feature of any great network is offering a reasonably priced service. Given that VPNs have become a staple in the way in which many people surf and access the web, the price you are paying should be reasonable enough for you to keep the service for the long-term. If you feel you are paying too much for your VPN service, you will either end up switching providers or getting rid of the service altogether.
Overall, purchasing a VPN allows users to stay safe while surfing the web from a variety of devices and locations. Therefore, when you are shopping for your VPN service, you must ensure that you are taking the time to investigate and make certain that you are purchasing your service from a reputable provider. This provider should offer your service at a reasonable price and without causing you any additional hassles or headaches.
Additionally, it should include log-free surfing that allows you to surf without worrying about other people being able to access your activity logs at a later time. Either way, when you are purchasing your VPN service, you should take the time to make sure you are purchasing it from a reputable company that you can trust.
Interesting related article: “What is a VPN? How does it work?“