Aetna, Inc. is an American health care company which sells a broad range of traditional, voluntary and consumer-directed health insurance products.
The company is one of America’s leading providers of health care, pharmacy, dental, group life, and disability insurance, and employee benefits.
It was founded in 1853 in Hartford, Connecticut.
Aetna, Inc. says that it is “dedicated to helping people achieve health and financial security by providing easy access to safe, cost-effective, high-quality health care and protecting their finances against health-related risks.”
The company has approximately:
- 23.1 million medical members
- 14.3 million dental members
- 15.3 million pharmacy members.
- 13.609 million group insurance members
- 1,200,000+ health-care professionals
- 695,000+ primary-care doctors and specialists
- 5,712+ hospitals
On December 3, 2017, it was announced that CVS would acquire Aetna for an estimated $69 billion.
- Chairman, President and CEO: Mark T. Bertolini
- Industry: Health care
- Type: Public company
- Listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)
- NYSE stock symbol: AET
- S&P 500 Component
- Founded: 1853
- Revenue: US$ 60.535 billion (2017)
- Operating income: US$ 3.571 billion (2017)
- Net income: US$ 1.904 billion (2017)
- Total assets: US$ 55.151 billion (2017)
- Company head office: 151 Farmington Avenue, Hartford, CT, 06156, USA
- Employees: 49,828 (2017)