Overview of Carbon Monoxide Detector

Running your vehicle in the driveway before a lengthy drive may seem to be a time-saving, particularly on a chilly winter morning. However, even if the driveway door is open, the carbon output from your car can fill it with carbon monoxide (CO), a dangerous and silent threat. Carbon monoxide is indeed a colorless, odorless, and toxic fume that claims the lives of over 430 people every year.

It is produced as a byproduct of the combustion of carbon fuels like natural gas throughout your stove and fuel oil in your car. Carbon monoxide, even in small doses, can cause permanent harm or death.

Employing a Carbon Monoxide Detector

Poisoning may be avoided by reducing emissions and employing a carbon monoxide detector. Indoor levels may be maintained low by maintaining fuel-burning appliances on a regular basis, providing proper ventilation, and removing sources such as idle automobiles at air vents and in adjacent garages. CO detectors are widely accessible at home improvement stores, and they are easy to install. Detectors that sound an alert when possibly serious levels are achieved over a predetermined period of time might indicate the need for quick evacuation. Detectors should be put according to the manufacturer’s recommendations, although they are often positioned near sleeping quarters and on all levels of the house.

How do these detectors work?

Electrochemical sensors constituted of anode and cathode submerged inside a conductive solution known as an electrolyte are used in the most popular variety of detectors. So if carbon monoxide reaches the sensor’s gas-permeable compartment, a chemical reaction occurs, causing the electrical charge passing through the dielectric fluid to surge. The detector determines the concentration of carbon monoxide molecules based on the specific quantity that the current increases.

Metal oxide sensors work in a similar way, but instead of using a chemical solution, they rely on circuitry. When carbon monoxide comes into contact with a sensor’s chip, it reduces the material’s resistance to the movement of electricity to varying degrees depending on the amount of the chemical in the air.

Where to use these detectors?

While there are various technologies to select from, any working detector could significantly reduce the likelihood of poisoning from carbon monoxide. Many agencies recommend using detectors in a central place outside each sleeping room and on each floor of the home, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Local laws, codes, or standards may well have special restrictions to be aware of.

All detectors have a short lifespan, which varies depending on the manufacturer. Carbon monoxide detectors that fulfill the most recent US standards will alert you when they’ve reached the end of their lifespan and must be replaced.

Changing the sensors

Regular maintenance is required no matter what kind of carbon monoxide sensing you have:

  • Use the button located on the front to test it frequently (once a month).
  • Change the batteries as directed by the manufacturer.
  • Check that both sources of power are operational if you have a cabled sensor with something like a battery backup.

Consider replacing the sensor every several years, as recommended by the manufacturer. (These sensors do not last indefinitely.) Many models emit an alarm once they reach their expiration date; read the manual to learn what to expect.

When is my carbon monoxide alarm going to go off?

If the sensor detects an accumulation of CO in your home, the CO alarm will sound—usually before you notice any symptoms. With a reduced CO level (50 ppm), the alarm may not sound for up to eight hours. Carbon monoxide levels above 150 ppm can set off an alarm in minutes.

When an alarm sounds, act quickly because small concentrations over long periods of time are just as risky as sudden high-dose carbon monoxide exposure.


Targeting the problem at its source may also help to reduce carbon monoxide levels. Car engines shouldn’t be run in a garage or any other enclosed space. Portable power stations, which can emit more than 100 times so much carbon monoxide than just car fumes, should also be used outside and as far aside from doors and windows as possible, even during weather emergencies. But, if these do not work or you become negligent, then only a Carbon Monoxide detector must come to save you. Act calmly when the detector goes off and ensure that you are not panicking, as it may lead to further problems. So, stay safe, stay healthy. 

Interesting Related Article: “How Can A Fire Affect Your Health?