We all watch videos today. Thanks to modern technology, most of us also record videos using our smartphones. We place our footage online and send them to friends. Watching and sharing videos have become a way of life ever since smartphones came onto the scene.
One of videos’ greatest problems today is compatibility. A format that works on one device might not work on another. In fact, no device available today can support every type of video format.
Video converters can overcome this problem. They can take videos that have been downloaded from the Internet or stored in your computer and convert them into different formats.
According to WonderFox Soft, Inc:
“A video converter is a software program that can convert one video format into another format. Most of them can convert video files into several different formats.”
Choosing the best video converter for you
There is an abundance of video converters available online today. For the average consumer, deciding which one to use is not easy.
The simplest or most basic ones are free. However, if you want more features you will have to pay.
Before you start looking for a device, you need to analyze your videos and determine what formats they are in and what type of conversion(s) you require.
You also need to make sure that your video converter is compatible with your device’s operating system. If you have a MAC, Linux, or Windows computer, for example, you need to be sure that the video converter functions perfectly.
Most videos today come in MP4 format. However, many big names such as Windows Media Player do not support MP4. Therefore, you need a converter that can turn MP4 formatted videos into one that your operating system accepts.
Video converter features
If a video converter cannot do all of the following, don’t buy it:
- Convert files of regular video formats into various different formats. It must be able to convert .mkv or .wmv to mp4 quickly, i.e., in a matter of minutes.
- Transform from one to another audio codec such as mp3 to aac.
- Convert from one to another video codec, such as from mpeg2 or mpeg4 to h.265 and mpeg2, respectively.
- You should be able to watch a video preview.
More than basic
A good video converter should also be able to:
- Convert HD, 4K, and other advanced video files.
- Add subtitles to the video footage.
- Edit metadata information.
- Insert a photo watermark into the video.
- Improve the video’s quality.
- Cut and crop the video, enhance or correct color, and trim it.
- Turn video files into audio files.
- Improve a video’s speed.
There is a lot to choose from out there. It is important that you choose one that suits your needs and that you can use easily. If you are not an expert video technician, you should opt for a converter that is simple to work with. It must be straightforward to use and easy to understand.
Your video converter must allow you to customize your saved formats according to your requirements. Check out as many customer reviews as you can, they are packed with useful information.
If you are willing to pay, you need to determine what your budget is before you start searching.