Alastair Lyons announces

Serco Chairman falls on his sword and steps down

Published: 04:42, November 17, 2014

Alastair Lyons, Chairman of Serco Group plc has fallen on his sword, announcing on Monday that he intends to step down as soon as a new Chairman has been appointed to the beleaguered outsourcing firm.

Mr. Lyons said:

“The initial findings of the Strategy and Balance Sheet Review point to strategic and operational mis-steps at Serco for which, as Chairman of the board since 2010, I take ultimate responsibility. It is also the right thing for Serco to select a new Chairman, to take the helm for the future.”

“Whilst colleagues have asked me not to resign, it has been my intention to step down once a new strategy and direction for the business were in place. I am, therefore, taking the necessary steps to ensure an orderly process for my own succession during the first half of 2015.”

CEO Rupert Soames said:

“Whilst I respect Alastair’s decision, I want to put on record the fact that he has done an outstanding job stewarding the Company through the travails of the last twelve months. Nobody could have worked harder or done more to get us to the point where we can now concentrate on building a solid future for Serco.”

Alastair Lyons, Serco

Mr. Lyons, who has been Chairman since 2010, says he will probably be stepping down in the first quarter of 2015.

Serco posted a pre-tax loss in August of £7.3 million due to loss-making contracts and reorganizing costs.

The company’s fortunes took a nosedive last week when it announced that profits would be £20 million lower than its previous forecast, which had already been reduced. It also cut its guidance for 2015.

The loss of contracts also meant Serco had incurred £1.5 billion in writedowns, which sparked shareholder panic selling that resulted in the company’s value dropping by half-a-billion pounds in one day.

In 2013, the Hook, Hampshire-based company was caught up in a tagging scandal. It had continued charging for monitoring criminals who were either back in prison, had gone abroad, or had died.

Serco is still paying for the massive clean-up operation for overcharging the government, which is by far its largest customer, to the tune of many tens of millions of pounds.

In 2013, Serco was banned from all government contracts for six months.

Veronica Salvador Avatar

Other News

UK business activity strengthens in August despite continued services job cuts

Aug 22, 2026

Micron plans $10 billion research network for next-generation memory

Aug 21, 2026

YMTC parent seeks 33 billion yuan in Shanghai IPO after profit surge

Aug 21, 2026

Mitsubishi Electric agrees $1.4 billion deal for US power-market software group PCI

Aug 21, 2026

Why a strong ESG reputation can make a downgrade hurt more

Aug 21, 2026

Why companies keep paying for software nobody uses

Aug 21, 2026

AI needs more electricity. Why are data centres waiting years to connect to the grid?

Aug 21, 2026

Why effective leadership looks different across countries

Aug 21, 2026

Financial knowledge does not make people immune to scams

Aug 21, 2026

ScanSource agrees $220.5 million MicroAge deal to expand IT services

Aug 20, 2026

Carbon reporting rules linked to 3% to 4% rise in new establishments

Aug 20, 2026

Women matched men in laboratory bidding for top positions

Aug 20, 2026

Keysight orders top $2 billion again as communications demand strengthens

Aug 20, 2026

UK inflation rises to 2.9% as higher energy bills hit households

Aug 19, 2026

Dollar-store access is linked to poorer community health, US study finds

Aug 19, 2026

Analog Devices revenue reaches record $4.02 billion as data-centre demand strengthens

Aug 19, 2026

What happens to businesses when there are fewer young workers?

Aug 19, 2026

Einride plans 500-truck Tesla Semi deployment as revenue grows and losses widen

Aug 19, 2026

Why small purchases can quietly weaken a household budget

Aug 18, 2026

Why successful companies can keep making the same bad decisions

Aug 18, 2026