A motherboard, logic board, or mainboard takes the form of a large, printed circuit with a connector, a processor, memory modules, expansion cards, and more.
What is a motherboard, and what is it for?
The motherboard is one of the essential parts of a computer because most parts are not directly connected. It is also known as a motherboard and is a critical component of the computer.
The motherboard is mounted in a cabinet (casing) that is almost always made of sheet metal and has a palette for connecting external devices and other internal connections and sockets for further installation.
This results in the inclusion of a firmware known as the BIOS, making it possible to perform essential functions such as recognizing video devices, keyboards, devices, or loading operating systems such as Windows or Linux.
- Form Factor – Often used to classify motherboard based on geometric type for motherboard layout, dimensions and power requirements.
- Chip Set (Motherboard Brain) – Defined as an electronic circuit whose function is to coordinate the transfer of data between different computer components. It is integrated into the motherboard.
- CPU socket:The processor’s structure, when inserted into the motherboard, is called the processor socket. There are slots with rectangular connectors for inserting the processor directly and another square with several other small connectors.
- Input and Output Connector – Both input and output are multiple connectors depending on the version of this element or recently released, whether it will have some elements
- Platform:Depending on the platform (like AMD or Intel), it will have different features.
Types of Motherboards
There are several types of motherboards, including:
- AT Board. Used by IBM AT INC and was created in 1984. If you are thinking of a more advanced disk drive, this is a giant board. One of its disadvantages is that it can make faults through its connector through the power supply.
- BBAT Plate:It was designed in 1985, and although it is smaller in size than AT, the functionality is almost identical. Due to its depth, it made it easier to insert small boxes, which is why it was successful in the market.
- ATX board. They were created in 1995 by Intel. This is a model that overcame the losses of the previous ones. This is a plate in which the most used ports are located opposite the application slots. In other words, multiple cards can be inserted into the motherboard.
- Micro AXT Board:This is a small format for the motherboard. It is minimal and has space for only 1 or 2 AGP or PCI slots. That’s why USB or FireWire ports are included. Today’s era is the most modern.
Motherboard parts or components
Responsible for providing power to the computer from power sources. As a result, it transfers energy to optical and large-scale storage devices.
This is the charge of receiving the PC’s processor and connecting it to the rest of the equipment.
RAM Memory Slots
This is a connector between 2 and 4 units. It is designed to insert memory cards into a computer.
Depending on what is being added to the computer, they receive different types of cards.
This is a connection that assumes a microprocessor connected to the chipset. However, it has become obsolete through hyper-transport and quick-path.
Connected to the chipset with RAM.
Connects the microprocessor with input and output connectors as well as extension slots.
Input and Output Connectors
Allow the computer to be connected to external devices, i.e. connect input peripherals and output peripherals. Some of these are USB, parallel port, P2S, RJ45, DVI, HDMI, VGA, IDE or ATA connector.
This is a series of electronic circuits that manage the transfer of information between computer devices. This is a very valuable element for the motherboard.
Its primary purpose is to regulate the speed of implementation of devices and consequently the microprocessor.
A small portion of memory is used to store important computer information, even when it is turned off.
This is a small program that is placed on the motherboard in read-only memory. It is software that keeps everything in order and the correct operation and ordering of the goods.
This is a small battery that powers the CMOS to maintain data such as date and time.
It is conceived by the computer brain, and it is the one that handles the execution of the computer. Similarly, it is compatible with internal calculations and is responsible for sending user requests to the computer for implementation.
These are the devices that are in charge of maintaining the temperature in which the processor and PC work so that everything is in proper condition and therefore the equipment is not damaged.
How the motherboard works
The motherboard is a means of communication between the essential elements of the computer; it is made through electronic circuits that provide electricity, each connection slot and a particular slot or slot capable of connecting additional adapter cards. To make.
In other words, the motherboard unites everything and is thus the most complex process of the modern computer. You can then watch the action in more detail in the following video:
Recommended motherboard brands
ASUS – stands for the quality of motherboards and video cards. Gamers widely use them.
ASRock – has made a name for itself since 2002, and by not building high-end products, it is perfect for low-end computers where budget is a priority.
ECS (PCChips) – It is the fifth-largest motherboard manufacturer in the world.
EVGA It’s a brand that thinks primarily of gamers and high-end hardware seekers.
Intel – their processors are excellent, and if you combine them with their motherboards, you get a considerable benefit from this combination in terms of performance.
Interesting related article: “What is Hardware?“