China_Mobile_Sign

Trump administration recommends China Mobile be blocked from the US

Written by Joseph Nordqvist

Published: 22:46, July 3, 2018

The Trump administration has advised the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to deny China Mobile from providing telecom services in the US, citing risks to US national security.

“After significant engagement with China Mobile, concerns about increased risks to US law enforcement and national security interests were unable to be resolved,” said David J Redl, assistant secretary for communications and information at the US Commerce Department.

“Therefore, the Executive Branch of the US government, through the National Telecommunications and Information Administration [NTIA]… recommends that the FCC deny China Mobile’s Section 214 license request.”

China_Mobile_Sign
China Mobile is the largest mobile telecommunications corporation by market capitalization and the largest mobile phone operator by total number of subscribers, with more than 902 million subscribers as of June 2018.

The Executive Branch said that “the deepening integration of the global telecommunications market has created risks and vulnerabilities”.

According to a heavily redacted petition [PDF], the Executive Branch said it assessed that China Mobile is “vulnerable to exploitation, influence, and control by the Chinese government,” adding that “China Mobile would likely comply with requests made by the Chinese government.”

China Mobile International (USA) submitted its application for a certificate under s214 of the Communications Act almost seven years ago.

The recommendation against allowing China Mobile to enter the US telecom market comes amid heightened tensions between the US and China over trade and telecom.

Earlier this year the US Commerce Department found that Chinese state-owned tech giant ZTE had violated trade bans with North Korea and Iran. The US then banned ZTE from acquiring parts from American suppliers, which forced the company to put some of its major operations on hold.

The US said it would remove the ban on ZTE if the company agreed to a $1bn penalty, changed its management and hired a compliance team picked by the US. However, a group of bipartisan senators, including US Senator for Florida Marco Rubio, are trying to maintain the ban via an amendment to a defense bill.

 

Joseph Nordqvist Avatar

Other News

Paramount secures final required clearance, but $110 billion Warner Bros. deal remains on hold

Aug 17, 2026

Drax receives carbon-capture permit as funding question remains

Aug 16, 2026

Apple and Google challenge UK app-payment plan as fee dispute deepens

Aug 16, 2026

Can going green improve a company’s financial performance? Sales may be the missing link

Aug 16, 2026

Core Scientific pays $444 million for 440MW Oklahoma power position

Aug 16, 2026

UK goods exports fall 6.3% in June as goods deficit widens

Aug 15, 2026

Study links biased evidence ratings to rising confidence in a simulated business decision

Aug 15, 2026

Shrinkflation study finds higher dollar sales despite lower product volume

Aug 15, 2026

Cocoa study finds monitoring change cut estimated false reporting from 25% to 11%

Aug 14, 2026

Moody’s methodology change led affected companies to borrow more, study finds

Aug 14, 2026

Pony.ai and Uber plan more than 2,000 robotaxis across five European cities

Aug 14, 2026

Great Britain temporarily halts disposable barbecue sales over wildfire risk

Aug 14, 2026

SpaceX completes all-stock Cursor acquisition at $60 billion implied value

Aug 14, 2026

Good company news does not necessarily mean higher returns, study finds

Aug 14, 2026

Maersk raises 2026 forecast as freight rates and volumes lift Q2 earnings

Aug 14, 2026

Shoppers who used smart trolley screens spent 32% more, study finds

Aug 13, 2026

Stressful drives to work linked to negative behavior towards colleagues

Aug 13, 2026

Extra payments on oldest loan may cost borrowers more, study finds

Aug 13, 2026

Cisco revenue rises 18% as hyperscaler AI orders reach $9.3 billion

Aug 12, 2026

Bank of America agrees to invest up to $1.9 billion in Jio Credit

Aug 12, 2026