According to Forbes magazine’s annual ranking of billionaires worldwide, Bill Gates, co-founder of Microsoft, the world’s largest PC software company, is the richest person in the world.
In the past 21 years, Mr. Gates has hit the number one spot 16 times.
For the second year running, he beat Carlos Slim, the Mexican businessman to the top spot.
Mr. Gates’ net worth increased by slightly more than $3 billion in the year to February 13th to $79 billion. To put his wealth into perspective, if he gave away everything he had to the inhabitants of a town with 79,000 people, they would have $1 million each.
1. Bill Gates. 2. Carlos Slim. 3. Warren Buffett. 4. Amancio Ortega. 5. Larry Ellison. 6. Charles Koch. 7. David Koch. 8. Christy Walton. 9. Jim Walton. 10. Liliane Bettencourt.
In February 2015, there were 1,826 billionaires worldwide, which was 181 more than in February 2014.
According to Forbes magazine, the ten richest people in the world are:
1. Bill Gates (American). Net worth: $79.2 billion. Co-founder of Microsoft Corporation. He is not a majority shareholder of Microsoft. In fact, he is not even its largest shareholder.
2. Carlos Slim Helú (Mexican). Net worth: $77.1 billion. Business interests include telecommunications (Telmex and América Móvil), real estate, retailing, finance, media, technology, and airlines.
3. Warren Buffet (American). Net worth: $72.7 billion. Probably the most successful investor of the 20th century. CEO and largest shareholder of Berkshire Hathaway, a multinational conglomerate holding company.
4. Amancio Ortega (Spanish). Net worth: $64.5 billion. A fashion executive and founding chairman of the Inditex fashion group,, which owns the famous Zara clothing and accessories retail stores.
5. Larry Ellison (American). Net worth: $54.3 billion. CEO of the software company Oracle Corporation.
Bill Gates has been the richest person in the world 16 times in the last 21 years.
6. Charles Koch (American). Net worth: $42.9 billion. Co-owner, chairman of the board, and CEO of Koch Industries, a multinational conglomerate employing more than 70,000 workers.
7. David Koch (American). Net worth: $42.9 billion. Co-owner and executive vice president of Koch Industries, with older brother Charles (above).
8. Christy Walton (American). Net worth: $41.7 billion. The widow of John T. Walton, one of Sam Walton’s (founder of Walmart) sons. She inherited her husband’s fortune when he died. She has been the richest woman in the world for eight consecutive years.
9. Jim Walton (American). Net worth: $40.6 billion. The youngest son of Walmart founder Sam Walton.
10. Liliane Bettencourt (French). Net worth: $40.1 billion. One of the principal shareholders of L’Oréal, a French cosmetics and beauty company. She was the only child of Eugène Schueller, the founder of L’Oréal.
Source: “The World’s Billionaires,” Forbes.
You net worth is your total assets minus your liabilities.
Forbes Video – The Richest People on the Planet